Not only is the economy forcing you to tighten your belt on some splurges, but adding a belt might be the best way for you to make an ordinary outfit transform into something new and stylish without much investment. For the fashion forward individual who wants to stand out in a crowd, but daringly splurge on investments, try some recession proof style tips for staying ahead of the penny-pinching fashion train. Instead of forcing your inner stylista to take a rest, alter your approach to fashion. Here are some tips on how to alter the trendsetting fashionista mindset into a recessionista one!
Tip 1: Stick with what you know. Keep your look classic and try pieces that will outlast the current economic downturn. Try to find a happy median between your trendsetter side and the little black dress chic women within. Splurging on that bold printed dress isn’t a smart buy right now. Use that money to invest in a staple piece that will last. Fashion is all about what makes you look and feel the best. Stay focused on what suits you all the while making sure you have a pair of skinny jeans (a classic must-have).
Tip 2: Accessories are your best friend. From belts that cinch at the waist to bangles that add flair, accessories seem to rein as our wallets are stretched. Be creative with your wardrobe, but only by adding something new that doesn’t have you second-guessing your big ticket purchase. By adding accessories to any ensemble you can transform a classic look into a trendy one, without breaking the bank or even making a dent.
Tip 3: Splurge wisely. Of course, the fashionista within cannot be completely foregone, but when purchases are made, make sure they are versatile and work with more than just one outfit. Handbags, shoes and purses are what bring it all together so make sure these items are what you invest in.
Tip 4: Find what you love at a cheaper price. When you stick to the basics, you often want to make sure they withstand the seasons. Sometimes the basics in your closet that need to be replaced each season can be found somewhere else for a remarkably cheaper price than what you have been paying in the past.
Tip 5: Mix everything up. When you work with what you have and create something new, that is how the next trend is born. So don’t be afraid to mix those leopard stilettos with more than just one skirt. Don’t abandon your closet of choices without experimenting with some pieces and by adding new twists to your classic looks that can be found right in your closet. And who’s to say what you already own isn’t a hot vintage piece.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25