Not only is the economy forcing you to tighten your belt on some splurges, but adding a belt might be the best way for you to make an ordinary outfit transform into something new and stylish without much investment. For the fashion forward individual who wants to stand out in a crowd, but daringly splurge on investments, try some recession proof style tips for staying ahead of the penny-pinching fashion train. Instead of forcing your inner stylista to take a rest, alter your approach to fashion. Here are some tips on how to alter the trendsetting fashionista mindset into a recessionista one!
Tip 1: Stick with what you know. Keep your look classic and try pieces that will outlast the current economic downturn. Try to find a happy median between your trendsetter side and the little black dress chic women within. Splurging on that bold printed dress isn’t a smart buy right now. Use that money to invest in a staple piece that will last. Fashion is all about what makes you look and feel the best. Stay focused on what suits you all the while making sure you have a pair of skinny jeans (a classic must-have).
Tip 2: Accessories are your best friend. From belts that cinch at the waist to bangles that add flair, accessories seem to rein as our wallets are stretched. Be creative with your wardrobe, but only by adding something new that doesn’t have you second-guessing your big ticket purchase. By adding accessories to any ensemble you can transform a classic look into a trendy one, without breaking the bank or even making a dent.
Tip 3: Splurge wisely. Of course, the fashionista within cannot be completely foregone, but when purchases are made, make sure they are versatile and work with more than just one outfit. Handbags, shoes and purses are what bring it all together so make sure these items are what you invest in.
Tip 4: Find what you love at a cheaper price. When you stick to the basics, you often want to make sure they withstand the seasons. Sometimes the basics in your closet that need to be replaced each season can be found somewhere else for a remarkably cheaper price than what you have been paying in the past.
Tip 5: Mix everything up. When you work with what you have and create something new, that is how the next trend is born. So don’t be afraid to mix those leopard stilettos with more than just one skirt. Don’t abandon your closet of choices without experimenting with some pieces and by adding new twists to your classic looks that can be found right in your closet. And who’s to say what you already own isn’t a hot vintage piece.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31