NEW YORK (AP) — A Virginia man accused of driving hundreds of miles to upstate New York to kill the superintendent of a small school district believed the man was having an affair with his wife, a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press on Saturday.
Anthony Robert Taglianetti II made the more-than-six-hour drive after intercepting a communication between Clymer, N.Y., resident Keith Reed Jr. and Taglianetti's wife, said the person, who requested anonymity because the information was not being publicly released by authorities.
The two had had a romantic relationship some time ago when the Taglianettis were separated, the person said.
But Reed's brother objected to any suggestion that Reed was having an affair.
"As far as we can tell, Keith had no idea that she was married," Kevin Reed said in a telephone interview Saturday from his brother's home.
Kevin Reed, a retired FBI agent, said a profile of the woman on a social networking site listed her as divorced. He said his brother met her on the dating website Match.com, but didn't discuss the relationship with family members.
The wife, Mary Jenks Taglianetti, did not immediately respond to an online message seeking comment.
Investigators discovered a handgun in the car Anthony Robert Taglianetti was driving when he was captured Friday in Virginia following a nationwide search, authorities said. The weapon was to be sent for ballistics testing to discover whether it was used in the killing.
The 42-year-old Woodbridge, Va., resident was charged with second-degree murder hours after his capture and was to appear in court Monday on the issue of extradition, authorities said. It wasn't clear whether he had a lawyer. A man answering the phone at a number listed under Taglianetti's name declined to comment.
On Saturday night, Kevin Reed watched as his brother's three daughters sorted through their father's belongings. He talked of how his brother enjoyed his job and the students, and said the slaying has ruined many lives.
"He loved his job. He loved the kids. He knew every kid's name, K through 12," Kevin Reed said. "The kids' lives that he's not going to touch now — it's just a terrible, terrible loss."
He said his brother's assailant was evil.
"He didn't just ruin my family's life," Reed said. "He has affected thousands of lives with three shots. He's a coward, and I'll be there in court every day."
Authorities found Reed's body Monday about 150 feet from his Clymer home, where he lived alone. Kevin Reed said his brother had been divorced for several years.
Keith Reed Jr. had been superintendent of the one-building Clymer Central School District and its 468 students since November. The small town, 70 miles south of Buffalo near Pennsylvania, has a population of about 1,500.
The Chautauqua County sheriff's office said Thursday that it was searching for Taglianetti in connection with the shooting. The next day, deputies with a U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task force found him on a rural road in the Shenandoah County area of Virginia. They had issued a description of his vehicle earlier, saying they believed it was loaded with camping and survival equipment.
Reed's funeral was held Friday at the United Congregational Methodist Church in Salamanca. He is survived by his three daughters — two in college and one a recent graduate — as well as his parents, who are in their 80s. The burial was on his father's birthday, Kevin Reed said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25