When you hear the words “forensic psychiatry,” you most likely think of shows like “CSI” and “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” or those FBI profilers who come on news programs to discuss the psychology of a serial killer.
It looks pretty sexy on a crime solving series, but forensic psychiatry is much more basic in practice. It is the application of psychiatry to legal issues. Some psychiatrists may focus exclusively on legal issues, but at some point in their careers, nearly all psychiatrists have cases where the legal system and a patient’s mental health issues intersect. But forensic psychiatry is a specific medical sub-specialty that focuses on the connection between mental health issues and the law.
In addition to the courts, according to Forensic Pyschiatry.com, forensic psychiatrists also assist administrative law bodies, governmental agencies, boards, and other entities in the work of conflict resolution.
The issues addressed can include violence, criminal responsibility, a person’s competency to face trial in civil as well as criminal cases, mental disability, workers compensation cases, parenting evaluations or malpractice.
Forensic psychiatrists also are often called as expert witnesses in court cases, where they give an independent, professional opinion about a specific issue about issues that might not be easily understood by a judge or jury.
Forensic psychiatry is also a growing area of research and the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law provides information on fellowship programs in the U.S. and Canada that educate and provide clinical training and research opportunities.
Meharry Forensic Services, a division of the Meharry Medical College, offers comprehensive psychiatric and psychological evaluations that address legal issues of the court.
Dr. Rahn K. Bailey, chairman of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Meharry and president of the National Medical Association (NMA), oversees the training of psychiatrists who are trained not only to treat mental illness but address any underlying issues, such as substance abuse, but to deliver those services to patients in an empathetic manner and stay abreast of the latest research on mental health and psychiatric services to better serve patients and their families.
Bailey chaired the Katrina Response Effort of the NMA, leading teams of physicians in treating the mental health needs of those displaced by the hurricane. In January 2010, Bailey traveled to Haiti with the National Medical Association to provide medical care for the basic needs of Haitian residents after the devastating earthquake there.
When he took the helm of NMA this summer, Bailey said in a statement thathis agenda would focus on eliminating health disparities and raising awareness on the need for mental health care for black Americans, as well as support for President Obama’s Affordable Care Act.
“Health care policy is changing rapidly and, for more than 100 years, the National Medical Association has been at the forefront of the effort to provide quality health care for medically underserved populations.”
Click here for answers to your mental health questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25