A London woman utters the word “biscuit” over 16,000 times a day.
Jessica Thom suffers from Tourette disorder and engages in several tics such as saying the word “biscuit 900 times in an hour, beating her chest, and hitting her forehead against the wall. At times, Thom also involuntarily swears and creates guttural sounds.
The 32-year-old detailed her journey in her new-memoir Welcome to Biscuit Land: A Year in the Life of a Tourettehero which hits shelves in October.
Although Thom repeatedly says biscuit, which means “cookie” in Great Britain, she does not recall feeling hungry when she says it involuntarily 16 times a minute.
In one day, Thom said she has hit her forehead with a phone, a carton of apple juice, keys and a strawberry.
In her new tell-all, Thom explained what it is like living in a world that reacts to her outburst which has been both heartwarming and heartbreaking. She admitted that she can now laugh at her unique quirks and flares by comparing herself to Bridget Jones.
“I know I tic all the time and it sort of pisses me off — biscuit, biscuit," Thom told reporters. "But if I paid attention to it all the time, I wouldn't get much done. Sometimes with the Tourette's, I get overloaded — biscuit, biscuit. I'll punch myself in the chest hundreds of times a day and my legs move erratically about."
The National Tourette Syndrome Foundation defines the condition as a neurological disorder that is expressed by a variety of motor and vocal tics that last over a year. Tics can include shouting, throat clearing, grunting, and barking.
"The challenges are dreadful, but it has helped make me a more resilient and empathetic person," she said. "You can overcome most things, and I have become more confident."
Symptoms are typically apparent before the age of 18 through involuntary movements of the face, arms, limbs or trunks which can result in kicking or stomping.
Less than ten percent of those suffering from Tourette have tics that involve using swear words or other inappropriate words.
Dr. Jonathan Mink, chief of pediatric neurology at Rochester University, who sits on the board of the Tourette Association, recognized Thom’s condition as one of the most extreme cases.
"She is probably not thinking 'biscuit' all the time," said Mink, who does not treat Thom. "It's kind of an urge of need to do it. A lot of people say it's like an itch that needs to be scratched."
Dr. Mink said that one in 100 children suffer from Tourette which is often linked genetically. He also noted that in addition to Tourette, patients can suffer from attention deficit hyperactive disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.
"The majority of kids, even those bad enough to seek treatment, are likely to have their tics diminish or go away," Mink said.
Even though habit reversal therapy and antidepressants have been used to treat disorders and tics, Thom said that it has not worked for her.
"I tried instead of banging my chest to try to stretch my arm out, but it didn't work for me," she said.
She also tried taking medications but they only produced unwanted side effects. Instead, she only takes muscle relaxants.
Thom described her physical tics as “a bit like suddenly being wrenched from the inside or as if someone's put itching powder in my blood."
Although she lives with a roommate she still finds herself at risk of danger. Thom recently fell in the shower and has been bound to a wheelchair.
Despite her struggle, Thom finds solace and self-acceptance in writing.
"For I long time, I struggled — if I just tried a little harder or concentrated more, I could catch that tic," she said. "I look at a close friend [who has Tourette syndrome] and I can see her tic and recognize that feeling in my body and how it looks from the outside. Never for a moment do I expect her to control that, so I am more patient with myself."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31