A London woman utters the word “biscuit” over 16,000 times a day.
Jessica Thom suffers from Tourette disorder and engages in several tics such as saying the word “biscuit 900 times in an hour, beating her chest, and hitting her forehead against the wall. At times, Thom also involuntarily swears and creates guttural sounds.
The 32-year-old detailed her journey in her new-memoir Welcome to Biscuit Land: A Year in the Life of a Tourettehero which hits shelves in October.
Although Thom repeatedly says biscuit, which means “cookie” in Great Britain, she does not recall feeling hungry when she says it involuntarily 16 times a minute.
In one day, Thom said she has hit her forehead with a phone, a carton of apple juice, keys and a strawberry.
In her new tell-all, Thom explained what it is like living in a world that reacts to her outburst which has been both heartwarming and heartbreaking. She admitted that she can now laugh at her unique quirks and flares by comparing herself to Bridget Jones.
“I know I tic all the time and it sort of pisses me off — biscuit, biscuit," Thom told reporters. "But if I paid attention to it all the time, I wouldn't get much done. Sometimes with the Tourette's, I get overloaded — biscuit, biscuit. I'll punch myself in the chest hundreds of times a day and my legs move erratically about."
The National Tourette Syndrome Foundation defines the condition as a neurological disorder that is expressed by a variety of motor and vocal tics that last over a year. Tics can include shouting, throat clearing, grunting, and barking.
"The challenges are dreadful, but it has helped make me a more resilient and empathetic person," she said. "You can overcome most things, and I have become more confident."
Symptoms are typically apparent before the age of 18 through involuntary movements of the face, arms, limbs or trunks which can result in kicking or stomping.
Less than ten percent of those suffering from Tourette have tics that involve using swear words or other inappropriate words.
Dr. Jonathan Mink, chief of pediatric neurology at Rochester University, who sits on the board of the Tourette Association, recognized Thom’s condition as one of the most extreme cases.
"She is probably not thinking 'biscuit' all the time," said Mink, who does not treat Thom. "It's kind of an urge of need to do it. A lot of people say it's like an itch that needs to be scratched."
Dr. Mink said that one in 100 children suffer from Tourette which is often linked genetically. He also noted that in addition to Tourette, patients can suffer from attention deficit hyperactive disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.
"The majority of kids, even those bad enough to seek treatment, are likely to have their tics diminish or go away," Mink said.
Even though habit reversal therapy and antidepressants have been used to treat disorders and tics, Thom said that it has not worked for her.
"I tried instead of banging my chest to try to stretch my arm out, but it didn't work for me," she said.
She also tried taking medications but they only produced unwanted side effects. Instead, she only takes muscle relaxants.
Thom described her physical tics as “a bit like suddenly being wrenched from the inside or as if someone's put itching powder in my blood."
Although she lives with a roommate she still finds herself at risk of danger. Thom recently fell in the shower and has been bound to a wheelchair.
Despite her struggle, Thom finds solace and self-acceptance in writing.
"For I long time, I struggled — if I just tried a little harder or concentrated more, I could catch that tic," she said. "I look at a close friend [who has Tourette syndrome] and I can see her tic and recognize that feeling in my body and how it looks from the outside. Never for a moment do I expect her to control that, so I am more patient with myself."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30