DETROIT (AP) — Michigan's former state budget director told jurors Thursday that she was "angry" when she learned that public grants approved in 2000 at the urging of Kwame Kilpatrick ended up in the hands of the former mayor's wife.
Kilpatrick is on trial for alleged corruption, mostly committed at City Hall from 2002 through 2008, but federal prosecutors turned the clock back further to show questionable deals from when he was a Democratic leader in the Michigan House.
Kilpatrick was able to get grant money for Detroit nonprofit groups when lawmakers passed a budget for arts and community projects in 2000. The government alleges that $37,500 of it was eventually passed from a neighborhood group to Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita Kilpatrick. In 2001, state officials wanted to know more about how the money was spent.
"We were having trouble getting documentation," said Mary Lannoye, who was the state's budget director at the time.
She said Kwame Kilpatrick requested a meeting when officials were holding up more money for the group that had given money to his wife.
"He said he didn't do anything wrong. He was nonchalant," Lannoye said. "I was upset. I was angry at him. These grants were meant to help a local community. … It's his wife. It gives the appearance of impropriety."
Carlita Kilpatrick ran a for-profit organization that promoted peaceful ways to settle conflicts. Kwame Kilpatrick's defense attorney, James Thomas, noted that the lawmaker was never accused of ethics violations over the grants.
At the time, Donna Williams was director of Vanguard Community Development, a community group affiliated with Second Ebenezer Church. She said the group got a $150,000 grant, and she subsequently hired Carlita Kilpatrick at the direction of the pastor, the Rev. Edgar Vann.
"I didn't like the circumstances of her hire, but I liked her," Williams testified.
She said Carlita Kilpatrick didn't provide services that were detailed in an invoice and that Kwame Kilpatrick got upset when Williams showed the paperwork to the state.
Separately, the government alleges that Kwame Kilpatrick's pal Bobby Ferguson got $250,000 from the state for his purported nonprofit. The indictment says $100,000 of that went to Carlita Kilpatrick and another $100,000 was used to renovate Ferguson's office at a construction company.
"I can't think of a circumstance where that would qualify" for a grant to help a community, former state Senate Majority Leader Dan DeGrow told jurors.
Ferguson's lawyer, Susan Van Dusen, suggested the renovations were aimed at creating space in which to train the community.
Kilpatrick, 42, is charged with bribery, fraud, racketeering conspiracy and tax crimes. He's accused of extorting money from people who wanted business from the city when he was mayor and rigging contracts to help Ferguson. Ferguson, Kilpatrick's father and Detroit's former water boss are also on trial.
Kilpatrick, whose mother is former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, was elected mayor in 2001. He resigned in 2008 and pleaded guilty to obstructing justice by lying in a civil case about having sex with an aide. He subsequently served 14 months in prison for violating his probation in that case.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31