DETROIT (AP) — Michigan's former state budget director told jurors Thursday that she was "angry" when she learned that public grants approved in 2000 at the urging of Kwame Kilpatrick ended up in the hands of the former mayor's wife.
Kilpatrick is on trial for alleged corruption, mostly committed at City Hall from 2002 through 2008, but federal prosecutors turned the clock back further to show questionable deals from when he was a Democratic leader in the Michigan House.
Kilpatrick was able to get grant money for Detroit nonprofit groups when lawmakers passed a budget for arts and community projects in 2000. The government alleges that $37,500 of it was eventually passed from a neighborhood group to Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita Kilpatrick. In 2001, state officials wanted to know more about how the money was spent.
"We were having trouble getting documentation," said Mary Lannoye, who was the state's budget director at the time.
She said Kwame Kilpatrick requested a meeting when officials were holding up more money for the group that had given money to his wife.
"He said he didn't do anything wrong. He was nonchalant," Lannoye said. "I was upset. I was angry at him. These grants were meant to help a local community. … It's his wife. It gives the appearance of impropriety."
Carlita Kilpatrick ran a for-profit organization that promoted peaceful ways to settle conflicts. Kwame Kilpatrick's defense attorney, James Thomas, noted that the lawmaker was never accused of ethics violations over the grants.
At the time, Donna Williams was director of Vanguard Community Development, a community group affiliated with Second Ebenezer Church. She said the group got a $150,000 grant, and she subsequently hired Carlita Kilpatrick at the direction of the pastor, the Rev. Edgar Vann.
"I didn't like the circumstances of her hire, but I liked her," Williams testified.
She said Carlita Kilpatrick didn't provide services that were detailed in an invoice and that Kwame Kilpatrick got upset when Williams showed the paperwork to the state.
Separately, the government alleges that Kwame Kilpatrick's pal Bobby Ferguson got $250,000 from the state for his purported nonprofit. The indictment says $100,000 of that went to Carlita Kilpatrick and another $100,000 was used to renovate Ferguson's office at a construction company.
"I can't think of a circumstance where that would qualify" for a grant to help a community, former state Senate Majority Leader Dan DeGrow told jurors.
Ferguson's lawyer, Susan Van Dusen, suggested the renovations were aimed at creating space in which to train the community.
Kilpatrick, 42, is charged with bribery, fraud, racketeering conspiracy and tax crimes. He's accused of extorting money from people who wanted business from the city when he was mayor and rigging contracts to help Ferguson. Ferguson, Kilpatrick's father and Detroit's former water boss are also on trial.
Kilpatrick, whose mother is former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, was elected mayor in 2001. He resigned in 2008 and pleaded guilty to obstructing justice by lying in a civil case about having sex with an aide. He subsequently served 14 months in prison for violating his probation in that case.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30