You know you’re truly a legend when you have not one, but two greatest hits compilations to your name. While Whitney Houston released only seven solo studio albums in her career, her perfect pitch and silken tone have made her one of the music industry’s greatest vocalists ever. Her untimely death at the age of 48 this year was undoubtedly tragic, but Houston’s legacy lives on. A second greatest hits CD “I Will Always Love You: The Best of Whitney Houston” out November 13, follows up her 2000 compilation “Whitney: The Greatest Hits” and is said to be the definitive collection of her best work. (There is also a 2007 collection “Whitney: The Ultimate Collection” available only outside the U.S.).
This latest greatest hits CD includes the original version of the song “I Look to You” written expressly for Houston by R&B singer/producer R. Kelly, the title track of Houston’s 2009 CD. This version includes newly recorded vocals from Kelly who sang the song at Houston’s funeral.
“The duet version of “I Look To You” between Whitney and R. Kelly is purely and simply a knockout. I believe that everyone will remember the first time they heard it and I think a new classic is being born,” Clive Davis, the album’s producer and Chief Creative Officer of Sony Music Entertainment Worldwide said in a release. He is credited with discovering Whitney Houston after an Arista A&R executive heard the young singer and brought her to Davis.
In addition to the CD, Atria Books will release a book of photographs featuring the singer entitled “Whitney: Tribute to an Icon.” Essays from her longtime manager/sister-in-law Pat Houston, photographer Randee St. Nicholas and Clive Davis are included among the photos. The book will be available on November 27. Proceeds will go to Teen Summit, a charitable organization that Houston supported, as well as to her estate in which her daughter Bobbi Kristina is the sole beneficiary.
Houston was one of music’s most successful female singers of all time. Eleven of her 39 Billboard hit singles went to #1, including “I Will Always Love You” from “The Bodyguard” soundtrack which became her signature song. She is the Guinness Book of World Records’ most awarded female singer of all time, notching 411 music awards including 6 Grammys, 2 Emmys, 16 Billboard Music Awards and 23 American Music Awards.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25