He may not have been a winner on “American Idol” but Michael Lynche is still a champion in the eyes of the fans he gained on Season 9 of the singing competition show. The talented vocalist is not only celebrating his new self-titled debut, he’s also celebrating losing 90 pounds since his “Idol” run. The married father of two, known as “Big Mike” decided to lose the weight not just for his career, but for personal reasons as well.
“I wanted to be more active and mobile for the long term,” he told Essence.com. “I also love having something to focus on and be disciplined about. I think that adds to whatever you’re doing. So that was part of it, and then it was also just time to do something because I have these goals. I would love to run the New York City marathon next year. I recently ran my first 5k and it’s just kind of a hobby of mine, something else to focus on other than music.”
Lynche said he runs and works out six days a week, eating just 1,000 calories a day. Despite the diet self-denial, he doesn’t hold back on his new CD. He wrote 12 of the CD’s thirteen songs, which he says were inspired by love. His version of “This Women’s Work” is included, a song originally done by alt-rock singer Kate Bush that was one of the highlights of his “American Idol” run. It may be that performance that helped him get a rare judge’s save and end up finishing fourth in the competition.
“The record itself, in its entirety deals with my ideas and thoughts on love and just where I am right now,” Lynche told The Huffington Post. “And the whole spectrum of love. From breakups to being head over heels, crazy, die for you type of love, to taking your woman and laying it down and spending that nice wholesome sexy time with her. The record is all about love.”
Watch and album promo “Who’s Gonna Love You More” here.
“Michael Lynche” Track listing:
1. Crazy Gina
3. Who’s Gonna Love You More
5. Love is You
7. Lovers Symphony
9. This Woman’s Work
10. Baby Boo
12. Somebody Save Me
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25