Activists in Selma, Alabama are set to march a historic route through the city today (Tuesday) and present more than 325,000 signatures to the Selma City Council opposing the placement of a monument to controversial Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest.
The original Selma monument to the man recognized as the first Grand Wizard of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan was stolen. A private group, Friends of Forrest, wants to place another monument honoring Forrest in Live Oak Cemetery.
The city council in Selma is scheduled to listen to public concerns over the matter prior to its meeting Tuesday at 3 p.m. The council meeting is set to start at 5 p.m.
Malika Sanders-Fortier launched a petition drive on Change.org last month. She has also connected with other civil rights organizations that will be joining in the Selma March.
Sanders-Fortier says that the Forrest bust is a symbol of hate. Southern heritage groups, including Friends of Forrest, say he should be recognized because as a Confederate general, he protected Alabama.
William Winters, senior campaigner with Change.org, said the 325,000 signatures collected thus far on the Forrest statue, shows that there is great concern about the issue throughout the country.
“The petition calling for Bank of America to reverse its plans for $5 ATM fees drew about 309,000 signatures, and was instrumental in the decision to change those plans,” Winters told BlackAmericaweb.com.
He said the large number of signatures gathered for Selma should also have an impact.
Sanders-Fortier, a native of Selma, has said she was compelled to do something because she is so often reminded of the sacrifices of others in her city.
In 1965, civil rights marchers were beaten back on the Edmund Pettus Bridge during an attempt to march from Selma to Montgomery for voting rights.
Several days later, after the federal government intervened, the marchers were able to make the trek.
"I grew up in Selma. Now, as a community organizer, I think often about the sacrifices of the people who lived here before me," says in the petition statement. "I was outraged and ashamed to learn that Selma's city council is sitting idly by.
Earlier this month during a Selma City Council work session, 19 people requested time to speak about the Forrest statue and 12 showed up according to the Selma Times-Journal.
None of the speakers present spoke in favor of the statue, according to the report.
The march today is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the foot of the Edmund Pettus Bridge and end at the Selma City Hall.
Monuments celebrating violent racism and intolerance have no place in this country, let alone in a city like Selma, where the families of those attacked by the Klan still live.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31