Well, those big numbers touted by the GOP each month this summer that showed Mitt Romney raking in scads more money than President Obama in campaign donations over the past few months won’t really help the Republican presidential nominee as much as first thought.
According to The New York Times, much of the $300 million raised this summer will help Republican congressional races, the Republican National Committee and some state Republican organizations, too.
As a result, the Romney campaign will be working with a tighter advertising budget than President Obama, all while the president is beginning to widen his lead in several so-called battleground states.
In fact, money – it turns out –was so tight for much of the summer that the Romney campaign was forced to borrow $20 million to get through the Republican Convention. Tens of millions of dollars could not be spent until Romney was officially nominated as his party’s candidate. Those funds then became available for the run up to the general election in November.
So why did we think Romney was beating Obama in the money game?
“Romney aides released informal dollar figures that lumped several pools of money – some available for his use, others not – into a single figure, providing a perception greater than reality: $106 million in June and $101 million in July, far more than Mr. Obama and the Democrats,” The Times reported.
What those reports didn’t make clear was the campaign had to share that money with other party entities.
And of the party committee’s share, only about $22 million may be spent on advertising linked to Romney.
Long story short, a lot of that fundraising isn’t going into the GOP nominee’s coffers and now he has to be judicious with his spending.
Much of the money Romney raised came from high rollers who could only make one-time large donations. The president continues to receive smaller donations from many individuals who haven’t exceeded the spending limit and, therefore, may contribute multiple times directly to his campaign.
Super PAC funds are independent operations that cannot be controlled by either campaign. So while a PAC (political action committee) may support a certain position or candidate, it may not coordinate activities with a specific campaign, and a campaign cannot control a PAC’s message, even if it supports the candidate but hurts his position in some way.
One might argue that with all the austerity, belt tightening, and balanced budget talk the Republicans have been pushing that actually having the actual experience of doing more with less might help Romney better understand how to govern with limits.
Romney aides, according to The Times, said the campaign would not “telegraph its intentions for competitors to see,” while the Obama team has already booked $40 million in ads through Election Day.
In other words, they are saving their money to unleash a ton of ads in pivotal states near the end and hope it they will push their candidate over the top.
Either that or they are hoping super PACs ride to the rescue and that their ads stay on Romney’s message and not hurt the candidate.
That’s a pretty risky gamble for a campaign that certainly seemed more organized and disciplined. If the Romney team miscalculates with its own finances, one might wonder what it would do with the nation’s.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30