Well, those big numbers touted by the GOP each month this summer that showed Mitt Romney raking in scads more money than President Obama in campaign donations over the past few months won’t really help the Republican presidential nominee as much as first thought.
According to The New York Times, much of the $300 million raised this summer will help Republican congressional races, the Republican National Committee and some state Republican organizations, too.
As a result, the Romney campaign will be working with a tighter advertising budget than President Obama, all while the president is beginning to widen his lead in several so-called battleground states.
In fact, money – it turns out –was so tight for much of the summer that the Romney campaign was forced to borrow $20 million to get through the Republican Convention. Tens of millions of dollars could not be spent until Romney was officially nominated as his party’s candidate. Those funds then became available for the run up to the general election in November.
So why did we think Romney was beating Obama in the money game?
“Romney aides released informal dollar figures that lumped several pools of money – some available for his use, others not – into a single figure, providing a perception greater than reality: $106 million in June and $101 million in July, far more than Mr. Obama and the Democrats,” The Times reported.
What those reports didn’t make clear was the campaign had to share that money with other party entities.
And of the party committee’s share, only about $22 million may be spent on advertising linked to Romney.
Long story short, a lot of that fundraising isn’t going into the GOP nominee’s coffers and now he has to be judicious with his spending.
Much of the money Romney raised came from high rollers who could only make one-time large donations. The president continues to receive smaller donations from many individuals who haven’t exceeded the spending limit and, therefore, may contribute multiple times directly to his campaign.
Super PAC funds are independent operations that cannot be controlled by either campaign. So while a PAC (political action committee) may support a certain position or candidate, it may not coordinate activities with a specific campaign, and a campaign cannot control a PAC’s message, even if it supports the candidate but hurts his position in some way.
One might argue that with all the austerity, belt tightening, and balanced budget talk the Republicans have been pushing that actually having the actual experience of doing more with less might help Romney better understand how to govern with limits.
Romney aides, according to The Times, said the campaign would not “telegraph its intentions for competitors to see,” while the Obama team has already booked $40 million in ads through Election Day.
In other words, they are saving their money to unleash a ton of ads in pivotal states near the end and hope it they will push their candidate over the top.
Either that or they are hoping super PACs ride to the rescue and that their ads stay on Romney’s message and not hurt the candidate.
That’s a pretty risky gamble for a campaign that certainly seemed more organized and disciplined. If the Romney team miscalculates with its own finances, one might wonder what it would do with the nation’s.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25