When you think of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, you think of the dominant center for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers, the six-time NBA champion and Hall of Famer and the league’s All-Time Leading Scorer.
He is also an author, historian and actor.
Now you can add survivor and advocate to the list.
Abdul-Jabbar, who was diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in 2008, is working to inspire and encourage fellow patients with Ph+ CML to work closely with their doctors and take action to actively manage the blood leukemia.
Sept. 22 has been declared CML Awareness Day in the United States to help raise awareness of the disease and call attention to advancements made in the treatment of the disease.
CML is a disease in which the body produces cancerous white blood cells and is responsible for 10 to 15 percent of all adult cases of leukemia. Over the last decade, significant advances in the understanding of this disease have led to improved patient outcomes. As a result, CML is now a disease that may be managed in many patients for a long time by working with a doctor to develop the best possible treatment plan. In 2011 alone, there were about 5,150 newly diagnosed cases of this disease in the U.S.
Abdul-Jabbar, the National CML Society and Novartis Oncology will host a free webcast event Friday to provide CML patients and caregivers the opportunity to learn from and question experts on a variety of topics related to living with the disease.
"I heard the world 'leukemia,' and I thought this was definitely a death sentence." Abdul-Jabbar told ABC News when he went public with the news of his diagnosis, but he noted that his prognosis was good, and that "If I can do this as I'm told to do it, I can manage this."
Now, he told “Patient Power” in a telephone interview last week that he agreed to become a patient advocate to help others, and “pay it forward.”
“Knowledge is power,” Abdul-Jabbar said, adding that patients who better understand disease management can “prolong and better your life.”
Abdul-Jabbar and Greg Stephens, founder and executive director of the National CML Society, will be available during the webcast to discuss living with CML, including the active role patients can take in managing their disease and the importance of connecting with others.
To learn more about CML, visit the National CML Society. The global CML Advocates Network also has a directory of support organizations around the world.
And you can also add honoree to the long list of accolades for Abdul-Jabbar.
On Nov. 16, the Lakers will unveil a statue of Abdul-Jabbar outside the STAPLES Center, joining those of former Lakers Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Jerry West, former Kings hockey great Wayne Gretzky, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and former Lakers broadcaster Francis “Chick” Hearn.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30