When you think of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, you think of the dominant center for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers, the six-time NBA champion and Hall of Famer and the league’s All-Time Leading Scorer.
He is also an author, historian and actor.
Now you can add survivor and advocate to the list.
Abdul-Jabbar, who was diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in 2008, is working to inspire and encourage fellow patients with Ph+ CML to work closely with their doctors and take action to actively manage the blood leukemia.
Sept. 22 has been declared CML Awareness Day in the United States to help raise awareness of the disease and call attention to advancements made in the treatment of the disease.
CML is a disease in which the body produces cancerous white blood cells and is responsible for 10 to 15 percent of all adult cases of leukemia. Over the last decade, significant advances in the understanding of this disease have led to improved patient outcomes. As a result, CML is now a disease that may be managed in many patients for a long time by working with a doctor to develop the best possible treatment plan. In 2011 alone, there were about 5,150 newly diagnosed cases of this disease in the U.S.
Abdul-Jabbar, the National CML Society and Novartis Oncology will host a free webcast event Friday to provide CML patients and caregivers the opportunity to learn from and question experts on a variety of topics related to living with the disease.
"I heard the world 'leukemia,' and I thought this was definitely a death sentence." Abdul-Jabbar told ABC News when he went public with the news of his diagnosis, but he noted that his prognosis was good, and that "If I can do this as I'm told to do it, I can manage this."
Now, he told “Patient Power” in a telephone interview last week that he agreed to become a patient advocate to help others, and “pay it forward.”
“Knowledge is power,” Abdul-Jabbar said, adding that patients who better understand disease management can “prolong and better your life.”
Abdul-Jabbar and Greg Stephens, founder and executive director of the National CML Society, will be available during the webcast to discuss living with CML, including the active role patients can take in managing their disease and the importance of connecting with others.
To learn more about CML, visit the National CML Society. The global CML Advocates Network also has a directory of support organizations around the world.
And you can also add honoree to the long list of accolades for Abdul-Jabbar.
On Nov. 16, the Lakers will unveil a statue of Abdul-Jabbar outside the STAPLES Center, joining those of former Lakers Earvin “Magic” Johnson and Jerry West, former Kings hockey great Wayne Gretzky, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and former Lakers broadcaster Francis “Chick” Hearn.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25