Question: If a man threatens you and your family, pulls a knife on your teenage son on your front lawn and then, after you fire a warning shot to get him to leave your property, he charges at you while reaching for a weapon, do you have the right to defend yourself?
Well, apparently not. Some of you may have heard about the case of John McNeil, the 46 year-old brother and Kennesaw, Georgia resident serving a life sentence for killing a white man trespassing on McNeil’s property.
It all started back in December of 2005 when Brian Epp, a hired contractor whom the elder McNeil had a dispute with, pulled a knife on the McNeil’s teenaged son.
Epp refused to leave McNeil’s property, so McNeil called 911 and fired a warning shot at the ground. That’s when Epp charged McNeil, reaching into his pocket for the knife. McNeil fatally shot him at close range.
Now, my legal background tells me this appears to be a classic case of self-defense. Even more, the investigating officers did not charge McNeil, claiming he acted in self-defense.
However, nearly a year later, Cobb County District Attorney Pat Head pursued a murder charge despite the conclusion of the police and won a jury verdict upheld by the Georgia Supreme Court.
This despite the fact Kennesaw, Georgia happens to be a town really committed to the concept of self-defense. First, all homeowners are required to own a firearm and ammunition as a deterrent to crime. Second, a 30 year-old Castle Doctrine law allows the use of deadly force to protect one’s home, or anyone inside it, from a violent trespasser.
And there’s more, because it would be so easy to think this is just a simple case of black and white in this white conservative town.
This case is even more troubling given the fact that the predominantly white Kennesaw police department has consistently supported McNeil’s right to self-defense and that white neighbors, white eyewitnesses and white police officers all testified on McNeil’s behalf.
According to NAACP reports, the Cobb County Sheriff's Office had to arrest McNeil because the Kennesaw Police Department refused to.
So while there may certainly have been bias in the decision to prosecute McNeil, white officers and witnesses were the main ones saying that he was well justified in defending himself.
Time for us to act folks. The NAACP has a petition you can sign at their site, naacp.org. The case is currently being reviewed a second time by a Georgia appellate court.
And it’s even more urgent we free McNeil from prison given his wife, Anita, has been stricken with cancer. Prayers and best wishes go out to the entire McNeil family.
I’ll close with this quote from NAACP President Ben Jealous: "When it comes to protecting your home and your family, there is no law that can protect a black man from a biased system of justice."
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Click here to sign the NAACP's petition to get justice for John McNeil.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31