DALLAS (AP) — The family of a Dallas woman found dead two days after she tried to call 911 during a deadly attack filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city and local police Wednesday.
Deanna Cook called 911 on Aug. 17 to report that her ex-husband was assaulting her. Police have acknowledged the call was not logged correctly so the responding officers did not know it was an emergency. The two officers who went to Cook's south Dallas home received no response at the door and left without entering, police said.
Cook was found dead in her bathtub on Aug. 19 after Cook's relatives forced their way into the home. The ex-husband, Delvecchio Patrick, is charged with murder.
Police fired one call taker who told worried family members searching for Cook on Aug. 19 to call the jail and local hospitals first. The call taker who received Cook's original call was suspended for 10 days. Police say they have also made changes to how calls are logged and announced they are hiring more call takers.
The federal lawsuit alleges police were late responding to the call and relied on officers who didn't properly investigate. It accuses the city of violating Cook's due process and equal protection rights by failing to implement necessary policies.
Cook's family said Wednesday that police have refused to let them hear the tape of Cook's call. Police have also declined to release a transcript.
However, the lawsuit says Cook was screaming and begging for help during the call, and Chief David Brown has said the attack on Cook can be heard in the background.
It was 50 minutes before officers arrived at Cook's home, according to the lawsuit.
Attorney Nick Pittman said the officers stopped twice on the way — for a burglary call and a personal trip to 7-Eleven. He said the officers acknowledged the 7-Eleven stop in internal interview reports he reviewed.
Pittman described authorities' response last month as a "comedy of errors."
"They have long had a policy of not taking the 911 call center seriously," Pittman said.
Dallas police declined to comment Wednesday. A spokesman for the city did not return a message.
Family members also said they felt police shortchanged Cook because she was black and lived in south Dallas.
"I would like for it to be understood how Dallas Police Department responds to certain victims, no matter what the crime is," said Valecia Battle, one of Cook's sisters. "I think it needs to be understood that it does play a role what your class is. Your gender does play a role. Your race does play a role."
Battle, another sister, Karletha Cook-Gundy, and their mother, Vickie Cook, said they wanted to see domestic violence taken more seriously.
Patrick had been arrested multiple times for allegedly attacking Cook. Cook filed for divorce last year, and the divorce was finalized in January. He remains jailed in Dallas County, with bond set at $500,000. His attorney, Roger Lenox, did not immediately return a phone message.
Family members said Patrick continued to harass Cook in recent months.
"I just wish and I pray that it becomes urgent and that nobody should find any individual behind domestic violence dead," Vickie Cook said in an interview.
The family's lawsuit calls for unspecified damages. No court date has been scheduled yet.
Brown, in an earlier interview with Dallas television station KDFW, said Patrick's assault on Cook that "obviously led to her death" is clearly audible on the tape. He met with family members after the incident.
The call "should have been escalated to the highest priority — lights and sirens — and that did not happen, and so we're trying to find out what breakdown in communication happened along the way between the 911 clerk, dispatcher and the officers that didn't allow that to happen," Brown told the television station.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30