DALLAS (AP) — The family of a Dallas woman found dead two days after she tried to call 911 during a deadly attack filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city and local police Wednesday.
Deanna Cook called 911 on Aug. 17 to report that her ex-husband was assaulting her. Police have acknowledged the call was not logged correctly so the responding officers did not know it was an emergency. The two officers who went to Cook's south Dallas home received no response at the door and left without entering, police said.
Cook was found dead in her bathtub on Aug. 19 after Cook's relatives forced their way into the home. The ex-husband, Delvecchio Patrick, is charged with murder.
Police fired one call taker who told worried family members searching for Cook on Aug. 19 to call the jail and local hospitals first. The call taker who received Cook's original call was suspended for 10 days. Police say they have also made changes to how calls are logged and announced they are hiring more call takers.
The federal lawsuit alleges police were late responding to the call and relied on officers who didn't properly investigate. It accuses the city of violating Cook's due process and equal protection rights by failing to implement necessary policies.
Cook's family said Wednesday that police have refused to let them hear the tape of Cook's call. Police have also declined to release a transcript.
However, the lawsuit says Cook was screaming and begging for help during the call, and Chief David Brown has said the attack on Cook can be heard in the background.
It was 50 minutes before officers arrived at Cook's home, according to the lawsuit.
Attorney Nick Pittman said the officers stopped twice on the way — for a burglary call and a personal trip to 7-Eleven. He said the officers acknowledged the 7-Eleven stop in internal interview reports he reviewed.
Pittman described authorities' response last month as a "comedy of errors."
"They have long had a policy of not taking the 911 call center seriously," Pittman said.
Dallas police declined to comment Wednesday. A spokesman for the city did not return a message.
Family members also said they felt police shortchanged Cook because she was black and lived in south Dallas.
"I would like for it to be understood how Dallas Police Department responds to certain victims, no matter what the crime is," said Valecia Battle, one of Cook's sisters. "I think it needs to be understood that it does play a role what your class is. Your gender does play a role. Your race does play a role."
Battle, another sister, Karletha Cook-Gundy, and their mother, Vickie Cook, said they wanted to see domestic violence taken more seriously.
Patrick had been arrested multiple times for allegedly attacking Cook. Cook filed for divorce last year, and the divorce was finalized in January. He remains jailed in Dallas County, with bond set at $500,000. His attorney, Roger Lenox, did not immediately return a phone message.
Family members said Patrick continued to harass Cook in recent months.
"I just wish and I pray that it becomes urgent and that nobody should find any individual behind domestic violence dead," Vickie Cook said in an interview.
The family's lawsuit calls for unspecified damages. No court date has been scheduled yet.
Brown, in an earlier interview with Dallas television station KDFW, said Patrick's assault on Cook that "obviously led to her death" is clearly audible on the tape. He met with family members after the incident.
The call "should have been escalated to the highest priority — lights and sirens — and that did not happen, and so we're trying to find out what breakdown in communication happened along the way between the 911 clerk, dispatcher and the officers that didn't allow that to happen," Brown told the television station.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31