President Obama signed a proclamation last month declaring September National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month and urged Americans to promote healthy living for their children.
The Let’s Move site provides details for parents, educators and health care professionals to make eating right and exercising fun and entertaining for children.
Renowned nutritionist Rovenia “Dr. Ro” Brock is also on a mission to end obesity in the 10 fattest states in the U.S.
Last month, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released its annual obesity rate report, which revealed that 35.7 percent of all American adults are obese.
By region, the South had the highest obesity rate – with several states among the top 12 that have obesity rates that exceed 30 percent of the population. The 12 are: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia.
Dr. Ro, a regular nutrition coach on the Dr. Oz Show and Anderson Cooper Show and a frequent contributor to ABC and NBC and host of “Health Matters,” which appears on a number of PBS stations, has helped over 500,000 Americans lose more than 5 million pounds. The doctor is on Ebony Magazine’s ” Power 100 List” and was named by More magazine as one of the Top 5 Nutritionists in America.
The author of “Dr. Ro’s Ten Secrets To Livin’ Healthy” also is the creator of Fit Kidz, a series that empowers kids to take charge of their own health.
In the first season of the show, which is available on DVD, Captain Ro and her team of intergalactic Space Agents and Jr. Space Agents travel to Earth looking for Fit Kidz™ who can help them to save the unhealthy kids on Planet Obesia.
And she has a great challenge ahead in fighting obesity.
According to the CDC, just over 29 percent of black adolescent girls were likely to be considered obese, compared to 14.5 percent of white adolescent girls – nearly double the rate.
Studies have suggested that the current generation of young people may be the first to have a lower life expectancy than their parents because of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. and all the related diseases and health conditions that likely will develop because young people aren’t getting the exercise they need.
A Swiss study showed that teenagers who exercised vigorously had a better quality of sleep than those who did not. It also showed that adolescent athletes functioned better psychologically at home and at school.
Let’s Move! activities and news can be found on Facebook and Twitter, while tips for adults, as well as children, to control obesity can be found on everythingro.com.
Click here for answers to your questions about health and obesity.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31