Ed Weinberger, the creator of the 1980s sitcom “Amen” starring Sherman Hemsley, has sued his former business managers claiming they failed to account for what he was owed after he sued the show’s producer, Carson Productions, in 2011.
Weinberger sued his former business managers Freedman Broder & Company Accountancy Corp.; William Broder; Myers & Associates; and Ronald Myers, in Superior Court, reports Opposing Views.
Weinberger claims he’s been a writer and executive producer of “legendary network series,” including “The Tonight Show,” “The Cosby Show,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” and “Taxi.” Weinberger claims he struck a deal with Carson Productions in 1989, for fixed and contingent payments for his work on “Amen,” which ran for five seasons, from 1986 to 1991.
William Broder, Weinberger’s business manager from 1991-2004, was “aware that Weinberger had received advances against his right to receive contingent compensation and, as time went on, those advances were being recouped by money earned from the exploitation of ‘Amen,’” the complaint states.
Weinberger claims that by 1998 the accountant knew he was owed $1.4 million for “Amen.” But Broder stopped accounting for the money Weinberger was owed, then told him it could no longer manage his finances because he wasn’t earning enough, according to the complaint.
Weinberger’s next manager, Myers & Associates, also failed to keep tabs on “Amen,” the complaint states.
Weinberger says that before he sued Carson Productions in 2011, he was unaware that he had recouped his advances and was entitled to contingent compensation. “Weinberger discovered through the course of the litigation that his advances were recouped sometime in the years 2000-2001,” the lawsuit states.
It adds that Carson Productions refused to pay the writer for roughly six years worth of contingent compensation, on the grounds that his claims were barred by the statute of limitations. Those six years were from 2000-2006, Weinberger says, when he was represented by Broder and then by Myers.
Weinberger seeks damages and punitive damages for professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, professional negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31