Ed Weinberger, the creator of the 1980s sitcom “Amen” starring Sherman Hemsley, has sued his former business managers claiming they failed to account for what he was owed after he sued the show’s producer, Carson Productions, in 2011.
Weinberger sued his former business managers Freedman Broder & Company Accountancy Corp.; William Broder; Myers & Associates; and Ronald Myers, in Superior Court, reports Opposing Views.
Weinberger claims he’s been a writer and executive producer of “legendary network series,” including “The Tonight Show,” “The Cosby Show,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” and “Taxi.” Weinberger claims he struck a deal with Carson Productions in 1989, for fixed and contingent payments for his work on “Amen,” which ran for five seasons, from 1986 to 1991.
William Broder, Weinberger’s business manager from 1991-2004, was “aware that Weinberger had received advances against his right to receive contingent compensation and, as time went on, those advances were being recouped by money earned from the exploitation of ‘Amen,’” the complaint states.
Weinberger claims that by 1998 the accountant knew he was owed $1.4 million for “Amen.” But Broder stopped accounting for the money Weinberger was owed, then told him it could no longer manage his finances because he wasn’t earning enough, according to the complaint.
Weinberger’s next manager, Myers & Associates, also failed to keep tabs on “Amen,” the complaint states.
Weinberger says that before he sued Carson Productions in 2011, he was unaware that he had recouped his advances and was entitled to contingent compensation. “Weinberger discovered through the course of the litigation that his advances were recouped sometime in the years 2000-2001,” the lawsuit states.
It adds that Carson Productions refused to pay the writer for roughly six years worth of contingent compensation, on the grounds that his claims were barred by the statute of limitations. Those six years were from 2000-2006, Weinberger says, when he was represented by Broder and then by Myers.
Weinberger seeks damages and punitive damages for professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, professional negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30