Well guys, the issue of race is always with us, it’s as American as apple pie… especially during campaign season.
Case in point, you may recall that MSNBC’s Chris Matthews accused Mitt Romney of “playing the race card,” after Romney quipped "No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate" when Romney campaigned at the hospital where he was born.
Political pundit, Toure, also recently talked about how republicans and Romney were using issues like welfare to code their language in a way that says, “Don’t vote for the black guy.”
Toure went on to point out that republicans have a history of using these kinds of tactics to appeal to conservative white voters, highlighting Ronald Reagan’s focus on “welfare queens” and George Bush’s infamous “Willie Horton” ads.
Well, both Matthews and Toure, I believe, are justified in pointing out this racial coding. But, that said, I am also troubled by something Matthews and Toure suggested in their commentaries on race.
They both used the term, “playing the race card” when referring to what they believe are examples of racism or overt appeals to race and this is misleading because it suggests that issues of race only pop up like a card when someone refers to them directly or indirectly.
Let me explain. Race is with us always. It is a foundational and deeply embedded social construct as old as America itself. it’s always been used as a tool for grouping and differentiating people.
Take the seemingly innocent example of a man walking down the street. The dynamics change depending on what color that man is and what neighborhood that man happens to be in.
If he’s a brother walking in a predominantly white neighborhood, then the dynamics are different for him than a white man, given that the brother could be harassed or profiled or it could just mean someone acts extra nice to him to try and make him feel welcome.
Whether these events will actually happen is not the point they show how race informs and shapes group dynamics whether we are consciously thinking and talking about it or not.
Another example is how many of us, black and white, commonly avoid “bad areas” or stay out of the ‘bad side of town’ since we are conditioned to view these neighborhoods as full of lawlessness, people of color and high crime, whether actual or perceived.
All this to say that the issue of race cannot be reduced to a simple card to be played at a given moment. Race is not a card; it is built into the whole deck, a deck that has, historically, been stacked against us.
I’ll leave you with this thought from former president Lyndon Johnson:
“Until justice is blind to color, until education is unaware of race, until opportunity is unconcerned with the color of men's skins, emancipation will be a proclamation but not a fact.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30