When NBC’s franchise comedy sketch show “Saturday Night Live” heads into its 38th season on September 15th, Kenan Thompson will be there. He’s going into his tenth year on the show, which has made stars out of black comedians Eddie Murphy, Tracy Morgan and Maya Rudolph. But he didn’t expect it to last this long at all.
“This job is weird,” he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution a few years into his “SNL” gig. “It fits some people and really doesn’t for others. It does fit for me.” Thompson says it took him awhile to get comfortable in his role after starring in kiddie fare for Nickelodeon on “All That” and “Kenan and Kel.” He is the first cast member ever who came from kids’ television. For those reasons, Thompson has stayed pretty humble, despite his longevity on the show.
“It’s tough to have that kind of ego,” he said, “especially on a show that has spawned so many success stories. I don’t have that.” But Thompson is not ashamed of his roots on Nick, as he returned last year to do a guest spot on the Nick show “IParty” a mashup of popular Nick shows “ iCarly” and Victorious.”
“They're my extended family and they gave me my first television work. I owe a lot to Nickelodeon,” Thompson told Digitalspy.com. "I'm very close to a lot of the people that run these shows. Dan Schneider – the writer of “iCarly and “Victorious” – has been my friend for 15 years, and he asked me to do [iParty] so I said, 'Of course'."
Thompson, who was brought on initially to replace Tracy Morgan who found more fame on the NBC sitcom “30 Rock,” which parodies “Saturday Night Live,” says that “What’s Up With That” is among his favorite “SNL” skits and that Lindsey Lohan was one of his favorite guests to work with. As for his future, he’d be happy to be one of “Saturday Night Live’s” longest running cast members (that distinction currently belongs to Darrell Hammond, who was on for fourteen seasons. (Thompson, who joined in 2003, is behind current cast members Fred Armisen and Seth Myers. Alec Baldwin holds the record for most times hosting “SNL” with 16 appearances.)
But Thompson says “Saturday Night Live”, however long his run, won’t mark the end of what has already been a stellar career.
“I still have goals,” he told Digitalspy.com. “I want to get into producing and writing more for myself, setting up my own films and seeing what kind of personal touch I can put on movies, as opposed to just being in them. That's always a goal of mine. As far as particular projects, I don't know, but there's certain people I'd like to work with, like Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Chris Tucker, Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence…If I could end up like Jonah Hill, winding up in a Brad Pitt movie, that would be awesome."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31