Few Republican lawmakers sided with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney Wednesday as he blamed President Barack Obama for the embassy attack in Libya that left the U.S. ambassador to the country dead – except for Rep. Allen West of Florida.
Referring to the Arab Spring protests that toppled oppressive regimes in Libya, Egypt Tunisia and other Middle East countries, West said “the Obama administration touted the Arab Spring as an awakening of freedom, which we now see is a nightmare for Islamism.”
“Even more concerning, the initial response to these attacks from the embassy officials of the Obama administration was to apologize to a Facebook video that supposedly hurt Muslim feelings,” West continued. “President Obama’s policy of appeasement towards the Islamic world has manifested itself into a specter of unconscionable hatred.”
West, one of two black Republicans in the House of Representatives, said he couldn’t comprehend “How anyone can believe this president is strong on national security and foreign policy.”
“President Obama has clearly surpassed former President Jimmy Carter and his actions during the Iranian Embassy crisis as the weakest and most ineffective person to ever occupy the White House,” West concluded.
West’s outburst mirrored Romney’s take on Obama’s handling of the Libyan embassy attack that resulted in the death of Ambassador Christopher Stevens. The GOP presidential candidate likened the White House’s reaction to an apology and said it was “disgraceful to apologize for American values.”
Romney, however, was melding the embassy attack in Benghazi, Libya, with an incident in Cairo, Egypt hours before regarding an anti-Muslim film produced by an American for which U.S. diplomatic officials released a statement.
On the Libya incident, Obama said: “I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America’s commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.”
While Romney and West aggressively attacked Obama for the Libya incident, other Republicans on Capitol Hill offered diplomatically muted reactions that lawmakers traditionally give when a president is in the throes of a foreign crisis.
“Our thoughts and sympathy are with the families of these brave Americans,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) who dislikes Obama so much that he vowed make it his mission to make sure that Obama is a one-term president. “These attacks remind us of the sacrifices made on a daily basis by Foreign Service officers, diplomatic personnel, and our Marine Security Guards.”
Even Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), constant critics of Obama on foreign policy and military affairs, avoided blasting the president on Libya.
“In the midst of last year’s uprising in Libya, Chris traveled at great personal risk to Benghazi to represent the country he loved as the U.S. envoy to the Libyan opposition,” the senators noted.
Still, some Republicans in addition to Romney and West couldn’t resist trying to score political points from the Middle East situation. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said via Twitter “Obama sympathizes with attackers in Egypt. Sad and pathetic.”
Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, took a veiled dig at Romney, West, Priebus and others who sought to gain politically from the Libya attack.
“This is one of those moments when Americans must unite as Americans,” Kerry said. “It is exactly the wrong time to throw political punches. It is a time to restore calm and proceed wisely.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30