Few Republican lawmakers sided with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney Wednesday as he blamed President Barack Obama for the embassy attack in Libya that left the U.S. ambassador to the country dead – except for Rep. Allen West of Florida.
Referring to the Arab Spring protests that toppled oppressive regimes in Libya, Egypt Tunisia and other Middle East countries, West said “the Obama administration touted the Arab Spring as an awakening of freedom, which we now see is a nightmare for Islamism.”
“Even more concerning, the initial response to these attacks from the embassy officials of the Obama administration was to apologize to a Facebook video that supposedly hurt Muslim feelings,” West continued. “President Obama’s policy of appeasement towards the Islamic world has manifested itself into a specter of unconscionable hatred.”
West, one of two black Republicans in the House of Representatives, said he couldn’t comprehend “How anyone can believe this president is strong on national security and foreign policy.”
“President Obama has clearly surpassed former President Jimmy Carter and his actions during the Iranian Embassy crisis as the weakest and most ineffective person to ever occupy the White House,” West concluded.
West’s outburst mirrored Romney’s take on Obama’s handling of the Libyan embassy attack that resulted in the death of Ambassador Christopher Stevens. The GOP presidential candidate likened the White House’s reaction to an apology and said it was “disgraceful to apologize for American values.”
Romney, however, was melding the embassy attack in Benghazi, Libya, with an incident in Cairo, Egypt hours before regarding an anti-Muslim film produced by an American for which U.S. diplomatic officials released a statement.
On the Libya incident, Obama said: “I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America’s commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives.”
While Romney and West aggressively attacked Obama for the Libya incident, other Republicans on Capitol Hill offered diplomatically muted reactions that lawmakers traditionally give when a president is in the throes of a foreign crisis.
“Our thoughts and sympathy are with the families of these brave Americans,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) who dislikes Obama so much that he vowed make it his mission to make sure that Obama is a one-term president. “These attacks remind us of the sacrifices made on a daily basis by Foreign Service officers, diplomatic personnel, and our Marine Security Guards.”
Even Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), constant critics of Obama on foreign policy and military affairs, avoided blasting the president on Libya.
“In the midst of last year’s uprising in Libya, Chris traveled at great personal risk to Benghazi to represent the country he loved as the U.S. envoy to the Libyan opposition,” the senators noted.
Still, some Republicans in addition to Romney and West couldn’t resist trying to score political points from the Middle East situation. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said via Twitter “Obama sympathizes with attackers in Egypt. Sad and pathetic.”
Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, took a veiled dig at Romney, West, Priebus and others who sought to gain politically from the Libya attack.
“This is one of those moments when Americans must unite as Americans,” Kerry said. “It is exactly the wrong time to throw political punches. It is a time to restore calm and proceed wisely.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31