TV personality Katie Couric can say she’s done it all. She’s been a morning show host on “The Today Show” an evening news anchor on “The CBS Evening News” and a correspondent on the venerable news magazine show “60 Minutes.” Now she’s back to daytime in her own show, “Katie,” which debuted earlier this week. Despite some lukewarm reviews, the syndicated daytime show started off well – its debut garnered the highest ratings for a daytime talk show since “Dr. Phil” debuted back in 2002. And she’s carrying women – the people who matter the most in daytime – by huge percentages over newly minted daytime talk show hosts Steve Harvey, Ricki Lake and Jeff Probst, reports The Washington Post.
So it makes sense that Katie’s first push is to women and, to that end, she’s lined up an impressive group in the next few weeks of her show. She’s already interviewed singer Sheryl Crow, flesh-eating bacteria survivor and multiple amputee Aimee Copeland and singer/new mother Jessica Simpson. TV-shy Barbara Streisand, Heidi Klum, Jennifer Lopez, Wendy Williams, Demi Lovato, Sofia Vergara and “50 Shades of Grey” author E.L. James will all be joining “Katie” in the first three weeks her show is on the air. With the theme of new beginnings, Katie will explore how women making changes are handling them.
Dating violence will be covered as well with guests Sharon and Lexie Love, the mother and sister of murdered lacrosse player Yeardley Love scheduled to appear. (Love’s former boyfriend, George Wesley Huguely V was convicted of her murder last month and was sentenced to 23 years in prison.)
Given that the show is so female-centric, at least initially, it draws obvious comparisons to “The Oprah Winfrey Show”, which dominated daytime television for 25 years.
“It’s going to be a little bit different from what’s being offered in daytime, and explore important issues in the way that Oprah did,” Couric told TheDailyBeast.com. “Comparisons are inevitable, and I hesitate to bring that up. I’m a very different person from Oprah, with my own sensibilities and life experience.”
That life experience includes being a young widow (her husband died in 1998 from prostate cancer) dating a man 17 years younger and the criticism she received during her years on “The CBS Evening News.” She told “Access Hollywood” she expects to share some of her personal life, but maybe not to Oprah-esque levels.
“I’m not going to compromise my standards in a desperate search for ratings,” Couric told TheDailyBeast.com. “That doesn’t mean I’m not going to do fun things and light things and have a good time. [But]I don’t want it to be all about me.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31