TV personality Katie Couric can say she’s done it all. She’s been a morning show host on “The Today Show” an evening news anchor on “The CBS Evening News” and a correspondent on the venerable news magazine show “60 Minutes.” Now she’s back to daytime in her own show, “Katie,” which debuted earlier this week. Despite some lukewarm reviews, the syndicated daytime show started off well – its debut garnered the highest ratings for a daytime talk show since “Dr. Phil” debuted back in 2002. And she’s carrying women – the people who matter the most in daytime – by huge percentages over newly minted daytime talk show hosts Steve Harvey, Ricki Lake and Jeff Probst, reports The Washington Post.
So it makes sense that Katie’s first push is to women and, to that end, she’s lined up an impressive group in the next few weeks of her show. She’s already interviewed singer Sheryl Crow, flesh-eating bacteria survivor and multiple amputee Aimee Copeland and singer/new mother Jessica Simpson. TV-shy Barbara Streisand, Heidi Klum, Jennifer Lopez, Wendy Williams, Demi Lovato, Sofia Vergara and “50 Shades of Grey” author E.L. James will all be joining “Katie” in the first three weeks her show is on the air. With the theme of new beginnings, Katie will explore how women making changes are handling them.
Dating violence will be covered as well with guests Sharon and Lexie Love, the mother and sister of murdered lacrosse player Yeardley Love scheduled to appear. (Love’s former boyfriend, George Wesley Huguely V was convicted of her murder last month and was sentenced to 23 years in prison.)
Given that the show is so female-centric, at least initially, it draws obvious comparisons to “The Oprah Winfrey Show”, which dominated daytime television for 25 years.
“It’s going to be a little bit different from what’s being offered in daytime, and explore important issues in the way that Oprah did,” Couric told TheDailyBeast.com. “Comparisons are inevitable, and I hesitate to bring that up. I’m a very different person from Oprah, with my own sensibilities and life experience.”
That life experience includes being a young widow (her husband died in 1998 from prostate cancer) dating a man 17 years younger and the criticism she received during her years on “The CBS Evening News.” She told “Access Hollywood” she expects to share some of her personal life, but maybe not to Oprah-esque levels.
“I’m not going to compromise my standards in a desperate search for ratings,” Couric told TheDailyBeast.com. “That doesn’t mean I’m not going to do fun things and light things and have a good time. [But]I don’t want it to be all about me.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25