According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, African Americans have a disproportionately high prevalence of hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, the leading cause of heart attack, stroke and heart failure.
To help raise awareness of this and other conditions that overtly affect the African American community – and most importantly, how to prevent them – Tom Joyner will host his tenth annual “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” on October 19-20 at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, Pa. Thousands will gather to focus on the importance of increasing health awareness in the African American community. Attendees can receive more than $1,000 in free health services, including immunizations and dental exams, as well as lifesaving health information, seminars as well as enjoy live entertainment.
“I’ve been passionate about making sure every African American takes care of their health by getting regular check ups,” said Tom Joyner, host of the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show and founder of the Tom Joyner Foundation.
“I’m very excited to be expanding the impact of ‘Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day’ by providing more services and getting more support for this Health Festival.”
You have a chance to attend this once-in-a-lifetime event for FREE! Denny’s, a proud supporter of this event, is holding a nationwide sweepstakes to send one lucky fan and a guest to Philadelphia for a VIP experience at the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival.”
Fans can enter the “Denny’s and Tom Joyner Take a Loved One to Philly”sweepstakes online at http://www.TakeaLovedOnetoPhilly.com. One winner, selected at random, will receive roundtrip airfare for themself and a guest to Philadelphia October 19 through 20 for the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival.”
In addition to hotel accommodations, spending money and event transportation, the winner will have exclusive photo opportunities with Tom Joyner as well as VIP access and seating at all festival events.
“This is a great opportunity for one of Tom’s listeners to change their life and that of someone they love,” said John Miller, Denny’s chief executive officer. “Denny’s is proud to support improved health awareness in the African American community and empower the citizens of our nation to be proactive about their health.”
At the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival,” attendees will experience premiere health and lifestyle services, seminars and exhibitors. General immunizations and dental, eye and HIV/AIDS screenings will be provided free of charge, as well as a beauty salon/barber shop, safety demonstrations, healthy eating seminars and exercise classes, among many others. Attendance is free and promises to be a life-changing experience.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30