According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, African Americans have a disproportionately high prevalence of hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, the leading cause of heart attack, stroke and heart failure.
To help raise awareness of this and other conditions that overtly affect the African American community – and most importantly, how to prevent them – Tom Joyner will host his tenth annual “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” on October 19-20 at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, Pa. Thousands will gather to focus on the importance of increasing health awareness in the African American community. Attendees can receive more than $1,000 in free health services, including immunizations and dental exams, as well as lifesaving health information, seminars as well as enjoy live entertainment.
“I’ve been passionate about making sure every African American takes care of their health by getting regular check ups,” said Tom Joyner, host of the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show and founder of the Tom Joyner Foundation.
“I’m very excited to be expanding the impact of ‘Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day’ by providing more services and getting more support for this Health Festival.”
You have a chance to attend this once-in-a-lifetime event for FREE! Denny’s, a proud supporter of this event, is holding a nationwide sweepstakes to send one lucky fan and a guest to Philadelphia for a VIP experience at the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival.”
Fans can enter the “Denny’s and Tom Joyner Take a Loved One to Philly”sweepstakes online at http://www.TakeaLovedOnetoPhilly.com. One winner, selected at random, will receive roundtrip airfare for themself and a guest to Philadelphia October 19 through 20 for the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival.”
In addition to hotel accommodations, spending money and event transportation, the winner will have exclusive photo opportunities with Tom Joyner as well as VIP access and seating at all festival events.
“This is a great opportunity for one of Tom’s listeners to change their life and that of someone they love,” said John Miller, Denny’s chief executive officer. “Denny’s is proud to support improved health awareness in the African American community and empower the citizens of our nation to be proactive about their health.”
At the “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day Health Festival,” attendees will experience premiere health and lifestyle services, seminars and exhibitors. General immunizations and dental, eye and HIV/AIDS screenings will be provided free of charge, as well as a beauty salon/barber shop, safety demonstrations, healthy eating seminars and exercise classes, among many others. Attendance is free and promises to be a life-changing experience.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25