Christopher Darden is a desperate man or a complete idiot.
Seventeen years after Darden was banished into obscurity after he unsuccessfully prosecuted O.J. Simpson for murder in the so-called “Trial of the Century,” Darden is trying to step out of the shadows and back into the public spotlight.
Darden, the former Los Angeles deputy district attorney, is now accusing the late Johnnie Cochran, Simpson’s former lead attorney, of tampering with evidence by “manipulating” one of the gloves that Darden linked to the double murder of Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.
In one of the most captivating moments in the Simpson trial – and in a highly-theatrical move that inflamed racial tensions across America – Cochran asked Simpson to try on the glove, which he showed the jury was too tight.
"If it doesn't fit,” Cochran famously told the jury, “you must acquit."
Now, 17 years later, Darden claims Cochran intentionally altered the glove to get Simpson acquitted.
"I think Johnnie tore the lining,” Darden said last week during a panel discussion at Pace Law School in New York. “There were some additional tears in the lining so that O.J.'s fingers couldn't go all the way up into the glove."
"A bailiff told me the defense had it during the lunch hour,” Darden said. "It's been my suspicion for a long time that the lining has been manipulated."
So why is Darden suddenly going public with this explosive accusation? Why didn’t he raise this issue during the trial if he felt that Cochran had somehow compromised his legal ethics? Why didn’t he accuse Cochran to his face when Cochran was alive?
Does Darden hate Cochran because Cochran outsmarted him in court while the world watched in amazement?
Darden never filed an ethics violation against Cochran with the bar association; he never took formal action with the district attorney’s office where he once worked; he never took his grievance to the judge.
This is a cheap shot by Darden – a cowardly move – to accuse Cochran when Cochran is not here to defend himself. Cochran died in 2005 from a brain tumor at age 67.
"Having made the greatest legal blunder of the 20th Century," Alan Dershowitz, who was part of Simpson’s legal team, said of Darden, "he's trying to blame it on the dead man."
This absurd allegation may be Darden’s desperate cry for attention and an attempt to return to the headlines. He’s still practicing law, but he hasn’t enjoyed the kind of celebrity that he experienced during Simpson’s high-profile trial.
Simpson is serving up to 33 years in prison for a 2007 armed robbery in which he claimed he was trying to recover his own football mementos.
I feel some empathy toward Darden; perhaps he just can’t let go of the past because, after all, the Simpson trial was the highlight of Darden's legal career.
“In some ways I'm still recovering from the trial,” Darden said several years ago. “My health is not as good as it ought to be. I've gone back to practicing law and it seems to have taken a toll for whatever reason.”
It may be time for Darden to take another break because he’s starting to sound like a man who will say anything to get his name back in print.
But Darden should also do some serious soul-searching: He needs to figure out why 17 years later he still feels compelled to cast doubt on Cochran’s brilliant legal strategy that ultimately torpedoed Darden’s rise to notoriety.
Watch video of Johnnie Cochran in court below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30