Charlotte, NC – The Democratic National Convention is over, but the fire ignited is still present in the streets of the host city, Charlotte, North Carolina. President Barack Obama accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination in front of the entire nation, last night.
And one of the major platforms highlighted in his speech was the importance of getting an education.
“No family should have to set aside a college acceptance letter because they don’t have the money,” said Obama in his acceptance speech. “And students, you’ve got to do the work. Help us work with colleges and universities to cut in half the growth of tuition costs over the next ten years. We can meet that goal together. You can choose that future for America.”
But what Obama is saying is not something new. According to Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, in 2010 “President Obama signed a new executive order promoting excellence, innovation, and sustainability at HBCUs. To put this legislation in perspective, the new law—coupled with the funding provided in the Recovery Act and the President's first two budgets—more than doubles the total amount of funding for Pell Grants since President Obama took office. Over the course of the next decade, we project that nearly 60,000 additional Pell Grant awards will go to African-American students—and 21,000 of those Pell Grants will go to students at HBCUs.”
Legislation like this may be why a current Gallop poll shows that 64% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 prefer Obama to Romney.
To discuss youth helping to re-elect President Barack Obama, many college students from across the country attended the youth caucus in Charlotte.
“Every college student in America knows what it’s like to take out student loans,” said Alejandra Salinas, President of College Democrats of America. “This past summer the Democrats and Republicans were fighting over whether or not to increase the interest for student loans. Thankfully the Democrats won that fight, but if they had lost that fight, all of us college students would pay $10,000 more in interest. “
These interest rates are very important to students like Kayla Jackson, a senior Economics major from Spelman College, who is using loans to pay for college. Jackson said she also feels this legislation is important, especially for HBCUs, which are mostly privately owned.
“Because a lot of HBCU’s are privately owned, we don’t get public aid,” said Jackson. “So, students have to get loans or outside sources to pay for school. What Obama is trying to do is basically cut down that financial burden for us.”
And for some American students, college debt is getting too steep to pay. According the Project on Student Debt, college seniors carry an average of $24,000 in student debt. Jaime Shute, a senior, Journalism major from Florida A&M University, said that the other side (GOP) wants to increase this average.
“Both sides are very different,” said Shute. “For students, clearly President Barack Obama has put education first with the Pell Grant. And the other side is willing to double tuition rates and cut Pell Grants.”
Although many young Americans prefer Obama, the task is getting them to the polls to vote. President Barack Obama urges all young people to register to vote, and to show up to cast their ballots on November 7th.
Go to www.thefamuanonline.com to read more.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31