Charlotte, NC – The Democratic National Convention is over, but the fire ignited is still present in the streets of the host city, Charlotte, North Carolina. President Barack Obama accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination in front of the entire nation, last night.
And one of the major platforms highlighted in his speech was the importance of getting an education.
“No family should have to set aside a college acceptance letter because they don’t have the money,” said Obama in his acceptance speech. “And students, you’ve got to do the work. Help us work with colleges and universities to cut in half the growth of tuition costs over the next ten years. We can meet that goal together. You can choose that future for America.”
But what Obama is saying is not something new. According to Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, in 2010 “President Obama signed a new executive order promoting excellence, innovation, and sustainability at HBCUs. To put this legislation in perspective, the new law—coupled with the funding provided in the Recovery Act and the President's first two budgets—more than doubles the total amount of funding for Pell Grants since President Obama took office. Over the course of the next decade, we project that nearly 60,000 additional Pell Grant awards will go to African-American students—and 21,000 of those Pell Grants will go to students at HBCUs.”
Legislation like this may be why a current Gallop poll shows that 64% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 prefer Obama to Romney.
To discuss youth helping to re-elect President Barack Obama, many college students from across the country attended the youth caucus in Charlotte.
“Every college student in America knows what it’s like to take out student loans,” said Alejandra Salinas, President of College Democrats of America. “This past summer the Democrats and Republicans were fighting over whether or not to increase the interest for student loans. Thankfully the Democrats won that fight, but if they had lost that fight, all of us college students would pay $10,000 more in interest. “
These interest rates are very important to students like Kayla Jackson, a senior Economics major from Spelman College, who is using loans to pay for college. Jackson said she also feels this legislation is important, especially for HBCUs, which are mostly privately owned.
“Because a lot of HBCU’s are privately owned, we don’t get public aid,” said Jackson. “So, students have to get loans or outside sources to pay for school. What Obama is trying to do is basically cut down that financial burden for us.”
And for some American students, college debt is getting too steep to pay. According the Project on Student Debt, college seniors carry an average of $24,000 in student debt. Jaime Shute, a senior, Journalism major from Florida A&M University, said that the other side (GOP) wants to increase this average.
“Both sides are very different,” said Shute. “For students, clearly President Barack Obama has put education first with the Pell Grant. And the other side is willing to double tuition rates and cut Pell Grants.”
Although many young Americans prefer Obama, the task is getting them to the polls to vote. President Barack Obama urges all young people to register to vote, and to show up to cast their ballots on November 7th.
Go to www.thefamuanonline.com to read more.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30