Well, tonight is the big night, President Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for President!
Of course, everyone, be they Democrat or Republican, will be listening to what our President has to say because he can definitely turn a phrase.
But more than simply “turning a phrase,” the President has the power of inspiration.
Unlike his opponent and many leaders on the republican side, President Obama inspires people. Now, I know actions ultimately speak louder than words and we should and will hold both candidates and parties accountable on Election Day, but there’s something to be said about how you move and connect with people in trying times.
It’s not a democratic or republican trait. Ronald Reagan, regardless of how you felt about him, was gifted in the inspiration category… Few of us will ever forget the former president’s poignant address to the nation on the day of the tragic explosion of the space shuttle Challenger in 1986.
So how our leaders make us feel is important they can set a tone of inclusion, optimism and a shared vision for their followers and conventions, or one of exclusion and intolerance.
And, to be blunt, few of us in the black community felt inspired that the most memorable words coming out of the Republican National Convention last week were delivered by two peanut-throwing racists who said, “This is how we feed the animals.”
And then there was Clint Eastwood, who said…Ok, I actually still have no idea what he said.
But you get the point, it certainly was not inspiring.
That said, a candidate has to deliver more than an inspiring speech, we shouldn’t vote for anyone because of physical features or how well they can speak.
But, words are important, especially in combination with effective action. Words can lift us up, encourage us, motivate us, console us, guide us, touch us and unite us… They can also scare us, tear us down, hurt us, limit us, and divide us (or in the case of Clint Eastwood, completely confuse us.)
Words can paint a beautiful picture, a shared vision inspiring us to build or reach it – together.
As a young candidate for senator, Barack Obama painted such a picture with his first national address at the Democratic Convention in 2004.
He added more color to the canvas with his A More Perfect Union speech on race as a presidential candidate in 2008.
This picture took on historic proportions with his acceptance speeches as the Democratic nominee and then as the winner of the Oval Office.
I am hopeful that he will paint that kind of inspiring picture for us once again tonight.
I’ll close with these words from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31