Well, tonight is the big night, President Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for President!
Of course, everyone, be they Democrat or Republican, will be listening to what our President has to say because he can definitely turn a phrase.
But more than simply “turning a phrase,” the President has the power of inspiration.
Unlike his opponent and many leaders on the republican side, President Obama inspires people. Now, I know actions ultimately speak louder than words and we should and will hold both candidates and parties accountable on Election Day, but there’s something to be said about how you move and connect with people in trying times.
It’s not a democratic or republican trait. Ronald Reagan, regardless of how you felt about him, was gifted in the inspiration category… Few of us will ever forget the former president’s poignant address to the nation on the day of the tragic explosion of the space shuttle Challenger in 1986.
So how our leaders make us feel is important they can set a tone of inclusion, optimism and a shared vision for their followers and conventions, or one of exclusion and intolerance.
And, to be blunt, few of us in the black community felt inspired that the most memorable words coming out of the Republican National Convention last week were delivered by two peanut-throwing racists who said, “This is how we feed the animals.”
And then there was Clint Eastwood, who said…Ok, I actually still have no idea what he said.
But you get the point, it certainly was not inspiring.
That said, a candidate has to deliver more than an inspiring speech, we shouldn’t vote for anyone because of physical features or how well they can speak.
But, words are important, especially in combination with effective action. Words can lift us up, encourage us, motivate us, console us, guide us, touch us and unite us… They can also scare us, tear us down, hurt us, limit us, and divide us (or in the case of Clint Eastwood, completely confuse us.)
Words can paint a beautiful picture, a shared vision inspiring us to build or reach it – together.
As a young candidate for senator, Barack Obama painted such a picture with his first national address at the Democratic Convention in 2004.
He added more color to the canvas with his A More Perfect Union speech on race as a presidential candidate in 2008.
This picture took on historic proportions with his acceptance speeches as the Democratic nominee and then as the winner of the Oval Office.
I am hopeful that he will paint that kind of inspiring picture for us once again tonight.
I’ll close with these words from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30