Charlotte, NC-Coming on the heels of the Labor Day weekend, Charlotte showed no signs of rest as this year’s host city of the 2012 Democratic National Convention. Yesterday was the official kick off of the convention, but crowding the queen city’s streets were some angry protestors.
“They’ve barricaded the street up here,” said one protestor who would not release his name. “ They are the foot soldiers of the rich and that’s why they are here.”
Because of tight security, the city only provided one pedestrian entrance for people to enter the convention. The protestors were blocking this very entrance. Police formed a long line to prevent intrusion, as protestors sat on the ground and refused to move.
Some protestors were fighting against drone attacks that have increased under President Obama’s term. Other protestors were marching against abortion, same-sex-marriage and various other issues.
“We have a lot of questions and they have done a lot of rotten things. That’s why we choose to come to these convention” said the unidentified protestor.
Although this convention was barged with protestors’ against President Obama, other organizations were out trying to gain the more Democratic voters.
Planned Parenthood held a rally outside of the Charlotte Convention center, urging men and women voters to support women’s rights issues. Dressing in a costume in the image of birth control, Planned Parenthood handed out condoms and free t-shirts.
One of the speakers was Newark, NJ Mayor Corey Booker, who asked voters not to support a party (GOP) that doesn’t care about women.
“ Your are denigrating those very people you claim to love,” said Booker. “So I don’t understand how someone could say they love women when they are denying women access to health care. And denying women strategies to protect their life.”
Booker is referencing to Ann Romney, who shouted “I love you, Women” at the Republican National Convention last week in Tampa, Fla. Despite the Republican’s attempts, recent polls show that majority of women still prefer President Obama.
On Tuesday, Booker also gave a speech in the main arena, with First Lady Michele Obama and keynote speaker San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro. Castro is the first Latino to be a keynote speaker at the DNC. Often compared to the likeness of President Obama, his goal it to help the Democratic Party gain more Latino voters.
And last night, former President Bill Clinton gave a speech, which some critics consider one of the most convincing arguments to re-elect President Obama.
“President Obama started with a much weaker economy than I did. “ said Clinton. “Listen to me now. No president, not me, not any of my predecessors, no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years.”
And tonight, President Barack Obama will address the public an except the nomination from the Democratic party. With the theme of “moving forward”, political analyst and Morehouse Professor, Jason Johnson, says Obama is in a great position.
“I think Barack Obama is in a really good position because he is playing defense,” said Johnson. We’ve already saw all the best plays from the RNC last week. The Democrats now know what to say.”
The speech with be held in the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Go to www.thefamuanonline.com for more stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31