Charlotte, NC-Coming on the heels of the Labor Day weekend, Charlotte showed no signs of rest as this year’s host city of the 2012 Democratic National Convention. Yesterday was the official kick off of the convention, but crowding the queen city’s streets were some angry protestors.
“They’ve barricaded the street up here,” said one protestor who would not release his name. “ They are the foot soldiers of the rich and that’s why they are here.”
Because of tight security, the city only provided one pedestrian entrance for people to enter the convention. The protestors were blocking this very entrance. Police formed a long line to prevent intrusion, as protestors sat on the ground and refused to move.
Some protestors were fighting against drone attacks that have increased under President Obama’s term. Other protestors were marching against abortion, same-sex-marriage and various other issues.
“We have a lot of questions and they have done a lot of rotten things. That’s why we choose to come to these convention” said the unidentified protestor.
Although this convention was barged with protestors’ against President Obama, other organizations were out trying to gain the more Democratic voters.
Planned Parenthood held a rally outside of the Charlotte Convention center, urging men and women voters to support women’s rights issues. Dressing in a costume in the image of birth control, Planned Parenthood handed out condoms and free t-shirts.
One of the speakers was Newark, NJ Mayor Corey Booker, who asked voters not to support a party (GOP) that doesn’t care about women.
“ Your are denigrating those very people you claim to love,” said Booker. “So I don’t understand how someone could say they love women when they are denying women access to health care. And denying women strategies to protect their life.”
Booker is referencing to Ann Romney, who shouted “I love you, Women” at the Republican National Convention last week in Tampa, Fla. Despite the Republican’s attempts, recent polls show that majority of women still prefer President Obama.
On Tuesday, Booker also gave a speech in the main arena, with First Lady Michele Obama and keynote speaker San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro. Castro is the first Latino to be a keynote speaker at the DNC. Often compared to the likeness of President Obama, his goal it to help the Democratic Party gain more Latino voters.
And last night, former President Bill Clinton gave a speech, which some critics consider one of the most convincing arguments to re-elect President Obama.
“President Obama started with a much weaker economy than I did. “ said Clinton. “Listen to me now. No president, not me, not any of my predecessors, no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years.”
And tonight, President Barack Obama will address the public an except the nomination from the Democratic party. With the theme of “moving forward”, political analyst and Morehouse Professor, Jason Johnson, says Obama is in a great position.
“I think Barack Obama is in a really good position because he is playing defense,” said Johnson. We’ve already saw all the best plays from the RNC last week. The Democrats now know what to say.”
The speech with be held in the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Go to www.thefamuanonline.com for more stories.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30