Former President Bill Clinton electrified the Democratic National Convention Wednesday night. Now it is President Obama's turn. There are a lot of issues that can and will be discussed but the albatross around this administration's neck is the economy. So how will he address the issue tonight at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina?
Obama 2012 Campaign Advisor, Patrick Gaspard says, "I think that President Obama is gonna tell the story about this economy and what he has done to pull us out of this economy, by walking us again through the prism of the shared values he has with middle class Americans."
Democratic strategists contend the president's poll numbers are directly tied to the middle class pocketbook.
Robert Johnson, founder of BET and of The RLJ Companies, contends "the moment has arrived "for the President to step up with an aggressive outreach for black America in his speech" to get them enthusiastic about going to the polls like he has with other communities to include the women’s, Hispanic and LGBT vote.
Johnson says, "We have suffered through four years of 14 percent and above African-American unemployment. If the whole country were facing 14.3 percent unemployment, it would be total turmoil in demanding change to put people back to work. I think its incumbent of the president to talk about the fact and we cannot tolerate 14.3 percent among African-Americans any more than we tolerate 8.3 percent for all Americans."
Congressman Xavier Beccerra is attending the DNC and says the most important factor for minority America is, "jobs, jobs, jobs. That's it!" Becerra, the vice chair of the Democratic Caucus says, "if we are working we are doing much better…It is all about jobs. If you look at every study, it shows that our net worth as a family, our ability to send our kids to a good college, everything is dependent on having money. That means good jobs."
In the past few months, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis acknowledged a million jobs were created and half of that number went to the Latino workforce. Becerra was asked to respond to that statistic. "More and more jobs in America are requiring high skill. More and more, you've got to have college or some college in order to be able to keep a good paying job." The Los Angeles Congressman admits labor jobs may not keep families afloat like years ago, saying they "are not paying as well and are going away."
On the jobs front, the August 2012 jobs numbers are to be released Friday by the labor department. The numbers could be one determining factor as to how long and much of a bump in poll numbers President Obama receives after his Thursday night DNC speech. The numbers are released early Friday morning; just hours after the president's speech that is expected to rally the Democratic Party.
Meanwhile, last week at the Republican National Convention, Governor Mitt Romney said if he were elected president, he would create 12 million jobs in four years’ time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31