Former President Bill Clinton electrified the Democratic National Convention Wednesday night. Now it is President Obama's turn. There are a lot of issues that can and will be discussed but the albatross around this administration's neck is the economy. So how will he address the issue tonight at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina?
Obama 2012 Campaign Advisor, Patrick Gaspard says, "I think that President Obama is gonna tell the story about this economy and what he has done to pull us out of this economy, by walking us again through the prism of the shared values he has with middle class Americans."
Democratic strategists contend the president's poll numbers are directly tied to the middle class pocketbook.
Robert Johnson, founder of BET and of The RLJ Companies, contends "the moment has arrived "for the President to step up with an aggressive outreach for black America in his speech" to get them enthusiastic about going to the polls like he has with other communities to include the women’s, Hispanic and LGBT vote.
Johnson says, "We have suffered through four years of 14 percent and above African-American unemployment. If the whole country were facing 14.3 percent unemployment, it would be total turmoil in demanding change to put people back to work. I think its incumbent of the president to talk about the fact and we cannot tolerate 14.3 percent among African-Americans any more than we tolerate 8.3 percent for all Americans."
Congressman Xavier Beccerra is attending the DNC and says the most important factor for minority America is, "jobs, jobs, jobs. That's it!" Becerra, the vice chair of the Democratic Caucus says, "if we are working we are doing much better…It is all about jobs. If you look at every study, it shows that our net worth as a family, our ability to send our kids to a good college, everything is dependent on having money. That means good jobs."
In the past few months, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis acknowledged a million jobs were created and half of that number went to the Latino workforce. Becerra was asked to respond to that statistic. "More and more jobs in America are requiring high skill. More and more, you've got to have college or some college in order to be able to keep a good paying job." The Los Angeles Congressman admits labor jobs may not keep families afloat like years ago, saying they "are not paying as well and are going away."
On the jobs front, the August 2012 jobs numbers are to be released Friday by the labor department. The numbers could be one determining factor as to how long and much of a bump in poll numbers President Obama receives after his Thursday night DNC speech. The numbers are released early Friday morning; just hours after the president's speech that is expected to rally the Democratic Party.
Meanwhile, last week at the Republican National Convention, Governor Mitt Romney said if he were elected president, he would create 12 million jobs in four years’ time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25