The first official day of the Democratic National Convention was a stark contrast to the rainy weather outside. Storm clouds did not stop thousands from converging on Charlotte, North Carolina. There were other factors trying to put a damper on the Democratic Coronation of Barack Obama and Joe Biden as well. Mitt Romney supporters worked to steal the Obama thunder with a poorly publicized Romney for President/ Black Leadership Council event in downtown Charlotte. The rain nor the Romney Ryan session put a damper on those wanting to hear the Democratic rally cries for their presumed presidential candidate.
At the convention hall, some would say it was overflowing with major excitement. Ari Fleischer, former Bush White House Press Secretary, says that it “seems” there is more excitement because the Charlotte arena is “smaller” than the forum in Tampa for the Romney Ryan Convention.
Fleischer also contrasted the tone of the conventions. He feels the Republicans in Florida were about “reforms” and in Charlotte they are touting Obama’s successes.
The DNC Convention began its first night with some power punches aimed at the Mitt Romney camp. The DNC rolled out a number of people onto the massive stage, boasting Democratic blue carpet and a circle of white stars encircling the podium. There was a moment or two reminiscent of the RNC’s Artur Davis political switch pronouncement where he proclaimed support for Mitt Romney.
A former Republican Ohio firefighter took the stage pronouncing new allegiance to Barack Obama and Joe Biden. There was another moment when a woman on the stage began professing the same allegiance to the Obama Biden ticket, contending her family will not be happy with her decision.
A few minutes later there was a moment to remember a Kennedy. A video played to the audience reflecting on the life of late Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy. The segment, at one point, conjured up thoughts of current requests for Mitt Romney to release more tax returns. The video showed the heated Massachusetts senatorial debate decades ago where Mitt Romney asserted he wanted to let Roe V. Wade stand. A fired up Kennedy retorted, saying Mitt Romney was “multiple choice” on the issue as he was pro-choice."
Kennedy then demanded Romney show his papers on his stand to the voters of Massachusetts.
An overriding theme for the evening was a focus on women and women’s issues. Women are a major voting block in this country the Democrats are trying to get a lock on.
The culminating event was Mrs. Obama’s speech where she reintroduced America to the Obamas as a family and President Obama as a man of conviction to move things forward. She said she “believed deeply in my husband’s vision for this country.”
In her speech, Mrs. Obama touched on a number of lightning rod issues this president is dealing with from the economy to health care. Mrs. Obama said, “He [President Obama] didn’t care whether it was the easy thing to do politically."
How will the Convention excitement translate? Democratic strategist and pollster Cornell Belcher is not focusing in on a bump in the polls, as he says, “there will not be one, [a bump] as these conventions are more for the “party faithful.” He also says, “People don’t watch the convention like they did years ago”.
Beyond, the conventions and the upcoming debates, at issue is the economy and who can move America out of the grips of recession.
The first family is excited about this week. First Lady Michelle Obama electrified the crowd with her speech and her well-defined arms seen through a halter style silk dress. Also, Thursday, President Obama accepts the Democratic nomination for president for a second time.
There is also a family milestone, a big rite of passage for their oldest daughter Malia. She starts high school this week.
This convention season has been a conflict for many attending as it butts heads with the first day and week of school in many locals in the country. Many have tried to figure out how to accommodate both, the convention and the start of school. Sources contend the Obamas are facing that same decision.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30