While many around the country know Tremé as the title of an acclaimed television series, closer to home we know that it's much, much more than that.
Incorporated in 1812, Faubourg Tremé (faubourg is French for “suburb”) was the first free black neighborhood in the United States. It is also the neighborhood that gave rise to jazz, brass bands, incredible architecture, Mardi Gras Indians, and several pioneers of the civil rights movement.
Two centuries later, Tremé is the site of several key cultural institutions (see below). And it is still home to a dynamic community that continues to evolve the very traditions that make New Orleans unique.
Bicentennial Events and Activities
A year of concerts, exhibitions, festivals, media tours, parades, lectures, performances, and other events are planned to honor Tremé’s 200th anniversary.
Visit Treme2012.com to learn more — and join in the second line as New Orleans celebrates two centuries of this treasured neighborhood!
A Trip To Tremé
There are several museums and attractions that showcase the unique heritage of Faubourg Tremé. Here are a few to get you started:
New Orleans African American Museum of Art, Culture & History
1418 Governor Nicholls St.
NOAAM is housed in what is said to be one of the finest examples of Creole villa construction, the Meilleur-Goldthwaite house. This elegant raised cottage is now the backdrop for important exhibitions of art by traditional and contemporary African American artists.
Backstreet Cultural Museum
1116 St. Claude St.
This museum celebrates several traditions original to New Orleans and Tremé: jazz funerals, second line parades, and Mardi Gras Indians. The museum's collection of Mardi Gras Indian costumes is the city's largest, offering a unique insight into this magnificent and colorful form of street theater.
St. Augustine Catholic Church
1210 Governor Nicholls St.
St. Augustine Church is known as the oldest African-American Catholic parish in the United States where members included civil rights activist Homer Plessy and A. P. Tureaud. On its grounds is the “Tomb of the Unknown Slave.”
Congo Square and Armstrong Park
801 N. Rampart St.
Armstrong Park is an impressive public garden complete with waterways and sculptures of iconic New Orleans music greats. Within the park is Congo Square, a place where slaves and free people of color played African music and performed dance customs when most states outlawed such expressions.
St. Louis Cemeteries No. 1 and No. 2
425 Basin St.
St. Louis Cemeteries No. 1 and No. 2 are two of New Orleans’ most famous “Cities of the Dead,” and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A number of notable persons are buried in these cemeteries, including musicians, war heroes, the famous “Voodoo Queen” Marie Laveau, Homer Plessy, and Ernest “Dutch” Morial, the first African American mayor of New Orleans.
Perseverance Hall in Armstrong Park
U.S. National Park Service’s New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park
Learn about the history of jazz near the very spot where it got its start.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31