While many around the country know Tremé as the title of an acclaimed television series, closer to home we know that it's much, much more than that.
Incorporated in 1812, Faubourg Tremé (faubourg is French for “suburb”) was the first free black neighborhood in the United States. It is also the neighborhood that gave rise to jazz, brass bands, incredible architecture, Mardi Gras Indians, and several pioneers of the civil rights movement.
Two centuries later, Tremé is the site of several key cultural institutions (see below). And it is still home to a dynamic community that continues to evolve the very traditions that make New Orleans unique.
Bicentennial Events and Activities
A year of concerts, exhibitions, festivals, media tours, parades, lectures, performances, and other events are planned to honor Tremé’s 200th anniversary.
Visit Treme2012.com to learn more — and join in the second line as New Orleans celebrates two centuries of this treasured neighborhood!
A Trip To Tremé
There are several museums and attractions that showcase the unique heritage of Faubourg Tremé. Here are a few to get you started:
New Orleans African American Museum of Art, Culture & History
1418 Governor Nicholls St.
NOAAM is housed in what is said to be one of the finest examples of Creole villa construction, the Meilleur-Goldthwaite house. This elegant raised cottage is now the backdrop for important exhibitions of art by traditional and contemporary African American artists.
Backstreet Cultural Museum
1116 St. Claude St.
This museum celebrates several traditions original to New Orleans and Tremé: jazz funerals, second line parades, and Mardi Gras Indians. The museum's collection of Mardi Gras Indian costumes is the city's largest, offering a unique insight into this magnificent and colorful form of street theater.
St. Augustine Catholic Church
1210 Governor Nicholls St.
St. Augustine Church is known as the oldest African-American Catholic parish in the United States where members included civil rights activist Homer Plessy and A. P. Tureaud. On its grounds is the “Tomb of the Unknown Slave.”
Congo Square and Armstrong Park
801 N. Rampart St.
Armstrong Park is an impressive public garden complete with waterways and sculptures of iconic New Orleans music greats. Within the park is Congo Square, a place where slaves and free people of color played African music and performed dance customs when most states outlawed such expressions.
St. Louis Cemeteries No. 1 and No. 2
425 Basin St.
St. Louis Cemeteries No. 1 and No. 2 are two of New Orleans’ most famous “Cities of the Dead,” and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A number of notable persons are buried in these cemeteries, including musicians, war heroes, the famous “Voodoo Queen” Marie Laveau, Homer Plessy, and Ernest “Dutch” Morial, the first African American mayor of New Orleans.
Perseverance Hall in Armstrong Park
U.S. National Park Service’s New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park
Learn about the history of jazz near the very spot where it got its start.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25