Tonight officially kicks off the Democratic National Convention and this will be an opportunity for the Democrats and specifically President Obama to clarify to the nation what he has accomplished, how it has made your and my life better (or in some cases, saved us from getting worse), and what his vision for America is for four more years. The president is being giving the chance to do what the GOP and candidate Romney failed to do: Make non-believers believe.
But is that really what it is going to be about for President Obama? I think not. It’s about exciting his base. Now, this is not some groundbreaking assertion on my part. We have been talking about the lack of excitement around this election for at least the last six months. I heard the Gov. of North Carolina Bev Purdue say yesterday that the numbers between the president and Romney were so close amongst women and nationally because it is still early. What?! We are 62 days, 11 hours 39 minutes and 17…16…15 seconds from the election. We are late. And the clock is ticking.
But not to fret. Black people are excited going into Charlotte. I have been getting calls all week about opportunities in Charlotte and the DNC and the people calling me are more excited than I have heard in a year. They are excited about the parties they can get into that they are not on the list for. The president is in a statistical dead heat nationally and actually down 3-4 points in the state where the DNC is taking place and negroes, and I mean those that are supposed to be leading the charge for voter engagement regardless of the candidate, are trying to party. We have not collectively done enough work to party when the president is tied with a man who cannot move the needle with his own base.
Do you remember "Vote or Die"? While it possessed some major flaws as it relates to substance and real grassroots engagement, it excited potential voters who normally would have never been excited about the election. Do you remember who the Democratic nominee for president was then? John Kerry. As a community we were more excited for the potential first term of a man that arguably had no agenda for us, than for a president who has made changes for your family and mine, even if you do not think them enough. If you didn’t vote for the president in 08’ or you have decided to vote for Romney, I am not talking to you. Some of you are already saying Jeff, you should be keeping it non-partisan. And to you I say this is MY commentary and you have the right to disagree. But I’m talking to those of us who did vote for the president and more importantly still support him, that ALL of us have to step up our game.
Use this week of the DNC to reinvigorate your political swag, remembering that the president was a remarkable candidate in 2008. But YOU….the people…the voters….the little folks that wrote $5 and $10 checks were the magic that got him elected. If you're going to party at the DNC or anywhere else over the next 62 days, do it with the purpose of registering, educating, mobilizing, and energizing the people to the polls that will make this president the president for the next four years or accept the fact that President Romney is your creation as well.
MCD – REST IN PEACE
As always, I'm Jeff and that's my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31