Tonight officially kicks off the Democratic National Convention and this will be an opportunity for the Democrats and specifically President Obama to clarify to the nation what he has accomplished, how it has made your and my life better (or in some cases, saved us from getting worse), and what his vision for America is for four more years. The president is being giving the chance to do what the GOP and candidate Romney failed to do: Make non-believers believe.
But is that really what it is going to be about for President Obama? I think not. It’s about exciting his base. Now, this is not some groundbreaking assertion on my part. We have been talking about the lack of excitement around this election for at least the last six months. I heard the Gov. of North Carolina Bev Purdue say yesterday that the numbers between the president and Romney were so close amongst women and nationally because it is still early. What?! We are 62 days, 11 hours 39 minutes and 17…16…15 seconds from the election. We are late. And the clock is ticking.
But not to fret. Black people are excited going into Charlotte. I have been getting calls all week about opportunities in Charlotte and the DNC and the people calling me are more excited than I have heard in a year. They are excited about the parties they can get into that they are not on the list for. The president is in a statistical dead heat nationally and actually down 3-4 points in the state where the DNC is taking place and negroes, and I mean those that are supposed to be leading the charge for voter engagement regardless of the candidate, are trying to party. We have not collectively done enough work to party when the president is tied with a man who cannot move the needle with his own base.
Do you remember "Vote or Die"? While it possessed some major flaws as it relates to substance and real grassroots engagement, it excited potential voters who normally would have never been excited about the election. Do you remember who the Democratic nominee for president was then? John Kerry. As a community we were more excited for the potential first term of a man that arguably had no agenda for us, than for a president who has made changes for your family and mine, even if you do not think them enough. If you didn’t vote for the president in 08’ or you have decided to vote for Romney, I am not talking to you. Some of you are already saying Jeff, you should be keeping it non-partisan. And to you I say this is MY commentary and you have the right to disagree. But I’m talking to those of us who did vote for the president and more importantly still support him, that ALL of us have to step up our game.
Use this week of the DNC to reinvigorate your political swag, remembering that the president was a remarkable candidate in 2008. But YOU….the people…the voters….the little folks that wrote $5 and $10 checks were the magic that got him elected. If you're going to party at the DNC or anywhere else over the next 62 days, do it with the purpose of registering, educating, mobilizing, and energizing the people to the polls that will make this president the president for the next four years or accept the fact that President Romney is your creation as well.
MCD – REST IN PEACE
As always, I'm Jeff and that's my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30