Got questions about the gluten-free diet? Text them to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Many of us deal with abdominal pain, bloating or gas after eating a heavy meal, especially a meal loaded with bread and figure that it just comes with the territory.
Some folks, though, have gluten intolerance, a condition in which people have a reaction to gluten proteins contained in certain foods. The term first gained currency when some researchers suggested that making changes in the diet, especially eliminating gluten, might help children with Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Now sensitivity to gluten has been linked to other problems, including joint pain, indigestion and the aggravation of diabestes, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, weight gain, skin rashes, acne, eczema, chronic yeast infections, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, early aging, autism and dementia.
About 18 million Americans are affected by gluten sensitivity and another 3 million have celiac disease, a chronic digestive disorder. Symptoms include constipation, diarrhea, abdominal cramping and severe weight loss. A blood test, followed by a biopsy of the lining of the small intestines, can confirm a diagnosis of celiac disease.
Doctors Keevin and Denise Davis, co-hosts of the national award winning television program, “Doctors in the Kitchen,” focus on healthy home cooking. They educate, encourage, and empower people to obtain the best health possible by increasing their knowledge of proper food selection, preparation, and consumption in conjunction with environmentally friendly and sustainable lifestyle choices.
The Davises tell their patients that with a little planning, creativity and some dietary changes, gluten sensitivity can be managed.
First, those determined to have gluten sensitivity should eliminate foods containing wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, malt, bulgar, triticale, farina, seminola, dorum and certain oats. Read labels carefully, too, because there may be hidden gluten in yogurts, soy sauce, toothpaste, mouthwash and dextran additives.
In recipes, wheat flour can be replaced with a variety of other flours, including corn, potato, rice, tapioca, millet, quinoa, soy buckwheat, flaxseed and chia seed.
And you don’t have to give up flavor when making your favorite breads, cookies, pasta, muffins, rolls, pie and pizza crusts.
The doctors recommend you prepare your own food and bring your own food or condiments to work or social outings.
They also suggest your diet go heavy on fruits, vegetables, gluten-free foods and water. Exercise an hour each day and try a variety of activities, get plenty of rest, get regular medical and dental checkups, do your best to keep your life stress-free and live with a smile and a lot of gratitude.
Click here for answers to your healthy diet questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30