Introducing Ombre! The French-termed hair trend features darker, more natural hues at the roots with gradually-dyed lightening at the ends. It’s been spotted on plenty of A-list celebs: Chanel Iman, Jennifer Hudson, Naomi Campbell, Raven Simone (see pics below). Finally, a trend that doesn’t require a busy woman of the world to run to the salon every 8-12 weeks for a touch-up!
Here, celebrity hairstylist R. Obrien Lynch gives his top 3 things to consider before taking the Ombre plunge yourself:
This style of coloring (in my humble opinion) really became more popular when pop princess Nicki Minaj began rocking colored wigs that lent hues of purple to pink, lime green to blonde, and even royal blue faded to a touch of blonde on the ends. However, if done properly, the process can create quite the bill at the check-out of your favorite salon, so here’s what you should know:
1. Consider your profession and future aspirations before you go with the bolder shades.
The A-listers have started a trend that essentially looks like “grown out” color, which, thankfully, makes it easier on those of us who just don’t have the time to traipse to the salon every few weeks for a retouch. However, remember, the more creative a person chooses to be with their color shading, the more attention they may acquire.
2. Choose shades that will compliment your skin tone as well as wardrobe choices.
A person can choose one (1) to three (3) colors to shade for the “Ombre” effect. In the warmer months, shoot for lighter, more vibrant shades and in the winter months, choose cooler, more ash tones.
For a dark chocolate beauty: deep reds, coppers, and cool ash make for beautiful choices.
For the caramel-coated lovely: rich browns, coppers, possibly even violets (depending on career character).
For the fair maiden: ash tones, subdued blondes, golden caramel tones will add warmth to her olive skin.
3. If there has been a previous color, you WILL NOT be able to achieve the “Ombre” effect successfully without some color correction (or maybe even more drastic measures).
Though it may look as if this now infamous look can be achieved at home, it is necessary to visit a professional establishment for the best results.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30