More women are willing to undergo the knife to improve their sex lives.
A new corrective gynecological surgery claims to help women improve the look of their vaginas.
Through a process called vaginoplasty doctors can tighten vaginal skin by cutting back the inner and outer lips of the labia and occasionally opening the clitoral hood.
Melanie Berliet, a New York writer posed as a potential vaginoplasty patient at a local medical center where she learned just how doctors are selling the procedure.
“She essentially told me my boyfriend would propose to me after the surgery was done,” said Berliet. “If women are at all insecure and go for a consultation, it makes you feel more vulnerable and insecure. The vagina on the charts looked like a porn star.”
Ironically, many experts are blaming the Internet porn industry for the surgery’s growing popularity.
Dr. Cheryl B. Iglesia, a reconstructive pelvic surgeon and director of the female program at the National Center for Advanced Pelvic Surgery in Washington D.C. believes that porn, Brazilian waxing and other hair removal process are creating unrealistic views of what is considered a “normal” look.
“Everyone sees ‘Sex in the City’ and are getting their pubic hair removed and looking down there,” Iglesia said. “They are watching Internet porn and looking at Playboy and Penthouse with a lot of touched up and airbrushed pictures…They feel like they are abnormal.”
She feels that it’s especially impressionable for young girls.
“It’s really concerning, because [the trend] is really reaching younger ages, in their teens,” said Iglesia. “I heard of a mother taking in a 16-year-old and 11-year-old wanting to get it done. It’s just not right.”
Medical experts report that young women are willing to spend between $3,000 and $10,000 on vaginoplasty and labiaplasty, which are not covered by insurance. The American College of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons reported that over 2,000 women underwent such surgeries in 2010. The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery said that over 5,000 procedures have been performed annually in the U.S.
“We don’t know the exact number, because a lot are done at surgery centers and it’s hard to keep track,” said Iglesia. “There isn’t a code that we have. And people are paying cash up front.”
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists warn about the risks associated with vaginoplasty and labiaplasty such as infections, altered sensations, dyspareunia (painful contractions of the vagina), adhesions, and scarring. Iglesia said she even had to reverse the procedure for a patient who experienced pain during sex because it was too tight. She also said that some patients experienced nerve damage.
There are many online forums dedicated to informing and providing accounts of those who’ve experienced the procedure.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31