More women are willing to undergo the knife to improve their sex lives.
A new corrective gynecological surgery claims to help women improve the look of their vaginas.
Through a process called vaginoplasty doctors can tighten vaginal skin by cutting back the inner and outer lips of the labia and occasionally opening the clitoral hood.
Melanie Berliet, a New York writer posed as a potential vaginoplasty patient at a local medical center where she learned just how doctors are selling the procedure.
“She essentially told me my boyfriend would propose to me after the surgery was done,” said Berliet. “If women are at all insecure and go for a consultation, it makes you feel more vulnerable and insecure. The vagina on the charts looked like a porn star.”
Ironically, many experts are blaming the Internet porn industry for the surgery’s growing popularity.
Dr. Cheryl B. Iglesia, a reconstructive pelvic surgeon and director of the female program at the National Center for Advanced Pelvic Surgery in Washington D.C. believes that porn, Brazilian waxing and other hair removal process are creating unrealistic views of what is considered a “normal” look.
“Everyone sees ‘Sex in the City’ and are getting their pubic hair removed and looking down there,” Iglesia said. “They are watching Internet porn and looking at Playboy and Penthouse with a lot of touched up and airbrushed pictures…They feel like they are abnormal.”
She feels that it’s especially impressionable for young girls.
“It’s really concerning, because [the trend] is really reaching younger ages, in their teens,” said Iglesia. “I heard of a mother taking in a 16-year-old and 11-year-old wanting to get it done. It’s just not right.”
Medical experts report that young women are willing to spend between $3,000 and $10,000 on vaginoplasty and labiaplasty, which are not covered by insurance. The American College of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons reported that over 2,000 women underwent such surgeries in 2010. The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery said that over 5,000 procedures have been performed annually in the U.S.
“We don’t know the exact number, because a lot are done at surgery centers and it’s hard to keep track,” said Iglesia. “There isn’t a code that we have. And people are paying cash up front.”
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists warn about the risks associated with vaginoplasty and labiaplasty such as infections, altered sensations, dyspareunia (painful contractions of the vagina), adhesions, and scarring. Iglesia said she even had to reverse the procedure for a patient who experienced pain during sex because it was too tight. She also said that some patients experienced nerve damage.
There are many online forums dedicated to informing and providing accounts of those who’ve experienced the procedure.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25