So by now, you may have heard of Hampton University’s MBA Program’s ban on cornrows and locks, a controversial ban that got national attention this past week even though it has actually been in place since 2001.
So, male students in Hampton’s MBA program are not allowed to wear cornrows or locks to class.
Yep… Hampton University has an MBA Lock-Out.
The dean of the business school, Sid Credle, believes this policy has been very helpful in placing students in corporate jobs, citing an almost perfect job placement rate of 99%.
Obviously, many students and others look at it differently and some have spoken out publicly against the ban, which they feel stifles their freedom of expression.
On one side, Dean Credle wants his students to succeed professionally and he’s trying to minimize any chances that corporations will not hire the talented young African American business students Hampton produces.
He’s saying students should ‘dress the part’ on the road to success … I certainly don’t doubt Dean Credle is looking out for what he believes are the best interests of his students and his schoo.
But on the other side, we have to be careful what type of messages we’re sending these students and black youth in general when we tell them it’s a good thing to conform to majority cultural norms in a country that has forced us to conform for more than 400 years because if every one of us had conformed, we would likely still be in chains.
Not to mention it is certainly not true, as Credle argued, that braids and locks are not part of African American history because Charles Drew, Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King didn’t wear them.
C’mon now, Dean… With all due respect you undermine your argument when you put unnecessary statements out there like that.
Braids and locks are natural cultural expressions of African, Afro-Caribbean and African American life and we should celebrate them!
Whether a student wears braids in school is not really the point… If they decide to wear them to an interview where an employer may not hire the student, well…. that’s the student’s decision…
Let’s remember that an important part of life for students is decision-making and lessons learned… I would think the university certainly has an obligation to make students aware of the implications and possible consequences of their choices and actions.
Yes, prepare them for the often unfair realities they will face but, ultimately, these young adults should decide and learn for themselves.
But I could be wrong so let’s hear from you… Text us at 64-64-64 to weigh in on: Should an historically black college ban its students from wearing hairstyles IN CLASS that it believes may limit their success in corporate America?
I’ll close with these words that remind us of the downside of a society in which conformity becomes the norm:
“You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31