So by now, you may have heard of Hampton University’s MBA Program’s ban on cornrows and locks, a controversial ban that got national attention this past week even though it has actually been in place since 2001.
So, male students in Hampton’s MBA program are not allowed to wear cornrows or locks to class.
Yep… Hampton University has an MBA Lock-Out.
The dean of the business school, Sid Credle, believes this policy has been very helpful in placing students in corporate jobs, citing an almost perfect job placement rate of 99%.
Obviously, many students and others look at it differently and some have spoken out publicly against the ban, which they feel stifles their freedom of expression.
On one side, Dean Credle wants his students to succeed professionally and he’s trying to minimize any chances that corporations will not hire the talented young African American business students Hampton produces.
He’s saying students should ‘dress the part’ on the road to success … I certainly don’t doubt Dean Credle is looking out for what he believes are the best interests of his students and his schoo.
But on the other side, we have to be careful what type of messages we’re sending these students and black youth in general when we tell them it’s a good thing to conform to majority cultural norms in a country that has forced us to conform for more than 400 years because if every one of us had conformed, we would likely still be in chains.
Not to mention it is certainly not true, as Credle argued, that braids and locks are not part of African American history because Charles Drew, Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King didn’t wear them.
C’mon now, Dean… With all due respect you undermine your argument when you put unnecessary statements out there like that.
Braids and locks are natural cultural expressions of African, Afro-Caribbean and African American life and we should celebrate them!
Whether a student wears braids in school is not really the point… If they decide to wear them to an interview where an employer may not hire the student, well…. that’s the student’s decision…
Let’s remember that an important part of life for students is decision-making and lessons learned… I would think the university certainly has an obligation to make students aware of the implications and possible consequences of their choices and actions.
Yes, prepare them for the often unfair realities they will face but, ultimately, these young adults should decide and learn for themselves.
But I could be wrong so let’s hear from you… Text us at 64-64-64 to weigh in on: Should an historically black college ban its students from wearing hairstyles IN CLASS that it believes may limit their success in corporate America?
I’ll close with these words that remind us of the downside of a society in which conformity becomes the norm:
“You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25