I guess comedian Damon Williams wasn't the only person who noticed the lack of black people at the Republican National Convention because singer and former "American Idol" runner-up took to Twitter to make a funny comment about the white-dominated event.

Aiken tweeted:

"Playing drinking game with my brother now. We drink every time we see a black person on screen at the RNC convention. #soberasamormon."

However, not everyone thought it was funny. Country singer John Rich replied to Aiken's tweet saying, "CLAY! You should be ashamed for racist comments like THAT! WOW."

The country singer on to write that Aiken should delete his "idiotic" tweet and badgered him for not being "inclusive" but instead "exclusive."

Aiken never replied to Rich, but it seems as if the tweet was more of a jab at the RNC than it was towards black people.

The two also disagree on political parties. Aiken voted for President Obama in 2008, while Rich was an avid supporter of McCain.

What do you think? Was the tweet funny or racist?

48 thoughts on “Clay Aiken Comments on Black People

1. I was told by a mexican woman who is 70, that there are only 3 races now, white, black and asian, the brown and red people are being claimed as white on their birth certificates, she knows because white is on her birth certificate.

2. I don’t know if this matters or not but a “WHITE” el salvadorian told me 3 years ago that there now are only 3 races black, white and asian. Where is the brown and red man???? They have been labeled as white on their birth certificates and the person that told me this is over 60 years-old. So do the math….

3. gwanedm on said:

I donโ€™t think that it is entirely the RNCโ€™s fault that there werenโ€™t more Black Americans present! I mean what public arena or venue can you go other than a club, a predominately black church, a sporting event or hip hop concert were Black people are represented well! Think about it for a second. Those of us that have decent jobs, how many blacks are represented in your workplace? How many Blacks are represented at your school? Any were you go in this country; there will always be more whites than blacks! The country is only 13% Black anyway!! Does that mean that your school, your workplace and everywhere else you go it resembles a KKK rally? Some of the things we say really donโ€™t make any sense!

4. Just want to be free of pain on said:

Hell thats some funny shit Clay Iam with you,,,everytime I saw a black person at the RNC my wife let me hit it,,,,but I had to turn that shit off cause I couldnt hit it as many times as I wanted to….THEN I HIT IT ALL FUCKING NITE….YOU GO CLAY THATS FUNNY………..

5. mrmwms on said:

โ€œusโ€ nothing since The 1964 Civil Rights Act. Of which the DEMS filibustered against and attempted to water down. Regrettably, it was the death of Kennedy that first moved a nation to want the passage of the law, before it was passed. There is no party, excluding Native Americans, is going to pass any law that on its face benefits one group, particularly one that is 12 or 14 percent of the population. It would be deemed unconstitutional and discriminatory on its face. That is why the DEMS only speak of existing programs that have historically been a crutch to upward mobility for people living in depressed areas or are socioeconomically disadvantaged. REPS are no better in thinking that institutional discrimination does not exist.

6. mrmwms on said:

I was asked to clarify a statement. I stopped being uptight over 20 years ago when I opened my eyes to the hustle that an out of control two party system does to its registered voters.

BTW. Is there any truth to what I posted?

7. mrmwms on said:

cowboys200, thanks for asking for clarification. Over 300 folks hated a fragmented statement that lacked context. Thanks a part of the problem as well.

8. mrmwms on said:

Historical data supports from 1990-2010, under DEM or REP, supports the following for African Americans: Homeownership – 41%-43%; Income – $32k(2010) – it was $37k in 2001. The only socioeconomic indicates AA rated higher than any other demographic group was in incarceration rates and dropout rates. Letโ€™s not even mention the out of wedlock birth rates. This is why AA women are gaining better than AA men. Partly because, most have given up on waiting for donor fathers to simply be fathers. Using the same data you see Hispanics and Asians with high home ownership rates and lower unemployment rates, and high income rates. My point is this, AA have suffered for their block voting mentality, and taken their eyes off of the fact that access and opportunity is just as important as 40 acres and a mule. Other minority groups, to include GLBT groups have now become the target of both parties efforts to secure their votes. That is why you see emphasis in legislation and visibility being heaped on those groups. Of which they deserve, not to diminish them as being tokens for either party.
    What I see those groups having is diversity in thought and beliefs that both parties have to take seriously, or suffer at the polls. For example, just bring up Condi Rice, and most AA have a Uncle Tom mindset about her, robbing young AA girls of a positive role model in Rice. Simply because she has a (โ€œRโ€) after her title at times.
    I could go on and on, but it wonโ€™t matter. This I do know. If more AA belonged to the REP party, it would change, it would have no choice. There has never been an institution in American, that has not changed when AA have decided to change it.
    I am a facts based person. The statistics I used can be found at the DOL and IRS. I do my best to exclude emotions from the equation. The DEM convention is next week. I can assure you there will be no one talking about the historical data that supports that AA fair no better under DEMS or REPS. IN fact, if you donโ€™t know Spanish, are GLBT, or a women, you might feel a little excluded from the convention, assuming you are AA. There will be a great emotional appeal for the AA vote, as it always is during the DEMS convention. Remember Bidenโ€™s comment, โ€œputting you back in chains.โ€ Next week AA will be cheering this man.

9. batgirlnj on said:

There was nothing racist about the comment. What’s racist is the fact that it is true! His comment was not exclusive; the convention and the Republican party are exclusive! And ANYONE who believes the Republicans have the best interest of ANYONE who is not one of their own crooners is sadly mistaken. Their motto should be “what’s good for me, is not good for YOU!”

10. Blu_dovee2002 on said:

I actually thought the comment was funny myself. Just because a white person says “black” doesn’t always means racist. White and black jokes are common among each race and I don’t think Clay is racist…funny yes but racist, no.

11. ah5674r4 on said:

It was not the funniest thing I ever heard, but it was very true, and if said by a black person it would be no big deal. Come on people!

12. mrmwms on said:

Wow! That sounds serious. What’s next? Someone saying, Putting AA back in chains.” Wait! that was already said, and he gets to speak to the nation next week. Let’s hope he does not ask any AA to help find the keys to the chain locker. Regrettably, he will have more than enough willing servants. Considering mental slavery is alive and well, I wonโ€™t hold my breath, thinking a few would do so smiling all the way.

13. mrmwms on said:

This is Black History. During the early age of the Civil Rights movements, courageous young folks would go into diners, sit on buses, and attempt to register to vote, all the while knowing they would be rejected and often times beaten or jailed. Change required action. Change at times may require someone to sacrifice being isolated, rejected, or even demonized by their own. BTW, during that same time frame, a lot of young gifted black women and men went to schools, not because they wanted to, but because they wanted to be apart of what we today have the opportunity to do.

14. mrmwms on said:

Tell me who is more effective. Those that seek change from within, or those that continue to lock step in a political party where social or economic upward mobility has always been promised, but never delivered on.

15. Serpentine11 on said:

Not racist at all just observant. Who didn’t notice the sea of white and a few dark sprinkles spread around the floor. I can’t believe they didn’t feel out of place.

16. Kalman1266 on said:

….I don’t think Mr. Aiken is racist…being gay like he is, I wouldn’t think so….he was just commenting on something we as black people already knew…the well-to-do, good ol’ boy network also known as the republican party and their peanuts throwing at camera people, proud confederate flag touting asses in the 21st century have a learned from the 18th century attitude….would you expect to find any black people mingling? …..that’s just like Condoleeza Rice being accepted at augusta national golf course…oh, wait a minute….

17. cowboys2000 on said:

How many of us watching the RNC did the same thing? Hell I played ” I Spy” and went Sesame Street. You now…” one of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong”… IJS!

18. cowboys2000 on said:

19. msnsmith on said:

Wow didn’t think Clay had it in him. . . .LOL I got it and I definitely believe it was a dig on the RNC. No not Racist, but very funny. I am Black and even the Black Folks that were there looked just a little bit on the white side to me. . . . . .

20. bahamapeachie on said:

Maybe Clay and his brother would have been better off getting drunk with the find the “Obama Hater” Game. This was just to funny Clay.

21. mkfran on said:

I love it! I was thinking the same thing!! Where are all the black people. I’m not mad at him. I only saw about 2 minutes of the whole RNC (which is more than I wanted to see) But it was all a sea of white people. And I’m black by the way!!!

22. dabdel on said:

It certainly was not racists. John Rich was obviously trying to provoke controversy among blue party minority members. Clay was right to ignore the comment. One thing Clay forgot to mention. He and his brother probably stayed pretty sober, no way to get drunk with that particular game๐Ÿ™‚

23. melmo2012 on said:

I thought that it was funny. As a matter of fact, if you’re wanting to drink and not get drunk, it sounds like the perfect game (counting Blacks at the RNC). I never heard of Rich, but he being a republican and making a comment like he did only goes to solidify the ignorance and desparation of base republicans. Uninformed and not diversely acute.

24. cowboys2000 on said:

25. mccarroll59 on said:

I see his comments as truthful because I believe I saw maybe 2 blacks there one being a black woman fro CNN (had peanuts thrown at her while being referred to as an animal) and Condi! I believe & hope Clay was referring to the Republican Party looking like a Klan rally!

Eric R. McCarroll

26. goofster53 on said:

Let’s see. One morning a story about RNC delegates throwing peanuts at a black camera woman and making derogatory comments about feeding animals and the next a comment about a lack of black people at the RNC. Is there a connection? Only republicans would try to twist the comment into a racist comment. I can’t tell if the republicans are incapable of telling the truth or have just lied so much that they don’t know the difference. Can anyone help me understand?

27. sista70e on said:

I’m not mad at Clay….one thing I know for sure is Clay and his brother were stone cold sober by the end of the convention.

28. Geminigirl on said:

Here we go again with someone else named “Aiken”,( I know the name is spelled differently), making a stupid comment. Remember Todd Akin from Missouri and his rape comment? The remark was neither racist or funny. It was just stupid.