(Atlanta) – On the day, August 29th, of what would have been Michael Jackson’s 54th birthday, veteran entertainment attorney James Walker has been tapped by Clark-Atlanta University to teach an exciting new MBA course that explores the incredible business legacy created the late pop icon Michael Jackson.
Titled, “Michael Jackson: The Business of Music,” the class will feature a curriculum that reviews everything about Jackson’s empire – from how he negotiated and his tours Record Deals, Tours and Merchandising, to how he revolutionized legal practices related to entertainment Copyrights, Trademarks, Licenses and more.
The course will also highlight the late pop-star’s dealing in TV, Real Estate, Film and Music Publishing.
“The goal is to help students who have an interest or future desire to work in the entertainment industry whether as artist, attorney, business manager, accountant or other,” says Walker. “I’ve taught classes at Yukon University, Boston College and other places covering a lot of topics related to entertainment and the legal profession, but this course allows me to really provide my students with a comprehensive understanding of the music industry and the business mechanics involved.”
The world’s most successful entertainer, Michael Jackson created an empire that is virtually unrivaled in history. Due to his unparalleled achievements as a recording artist, Jackson further parlayed his success through shrewd investments that transformed the industry. Although deeply in debt at the time of his untimely death in 2009, “The King of Pop,” as Jackson was known, was in control of assets estimated in excess of 2 billion dollars.
With a long list of high-profile clients that has included Academy Award- winning entertainer Jamie Foxx, BET star Dr. Bobby Jones, award winning artists Dr. Shirley Caesar, Freddie Jackson, Donald Lawrence and DMX among others, James Walker is the ultimate industry insider. In additional to his successful legal practice, the Yale and Howard University alum is also the author of the bestselling book, “This Business of Urban Music” (Random House| Billboard Books). He maintains offices in Monroe, Connecticut and Atlanta, Georgia.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25