(Atlanta) – On the day, August 29th, of what would have been Michael Jackson’s 54th birthday, veteran entertainment attorney James Walker has been tapped by Clark-Atlanta University to teach an exciting new MBA course that explores the incredible business legacy created the late pop icon Michael Jackson.
Titled, “Michael Jackson: The Business of Music,” the class will feature a curriculum that reviews everything about Jackson’s empire – from how he negotiated and his tours Record Deals, Tours and Merchandising, to how he revolutionized legal practices related to entertainment Copyrights, Trademarks, Licenses and more.
The course will also highlight the late pop-star’s dealing in TV, Real Estate, Film and Music Publishing.
“The goal is to help students who have an interest or future desire to work in the entertainment industry whether as artist, attorney, business manager, accountant or other,” says Walker. “I’ve taught classes at Yukon University, Boston College and other places covering a lot of topics related to entertainment and the legal profession, but this course allows me to really provide my students with a comprehensive understanding of the music industry and the business mechanics involved.”
The world’s most successful entertainer, Michael Jackson created an empire that is virtually unrivaled in history. Due to his unparalleled achievements as a recording artist, Jackson further parlayed his success through shrewd investments that transformed the industry. Although deeply in debt at the time of his untimely death in 2009, “The King of Pop,” as Jackson was known, was in control of assets estimated in excess of 2 billion dollars.
With a long list of high-profile clients that has included Academy Award- winning entertainer Jamie Foxx, BET star Dr. Bobby Jones, award winning artists Dr. Shirley Caesar, Freddie Jackson, Donald Lawrence and DMX among others, James Walker is the ultimate industry insider. In additional to his successful legal practice, the Yale and Howard University alum is also the author of the bestselling book, “This Business of Urban Music” (Random House| Billboard Books). He maintains offices in Monroe, Connecticut and Atlanta, Georgia.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25