Artur Davis, a former Democratic congressman from Alabama, who was a co-chairman in President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign and spoke at the party’s national convention that year, flipped the script Tuesday night.
This year Davis, who left Alabama and moved to Virginia after failing to win the Alabama Democratic Party nomination for governor in 2010, spoke on behalf of presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney and encouraged Democrats and independents to have an open mind about the Republican ticket.
BlackAmericaweb.com takes a quick look at topics discussed in Davis’ 2008 speech before the Democratic National Convention and his speech Tuesday at the Republic National Convention.
Artur Davis on Poverty in 2008
“Ladies and gentlemen, 20 years ago, I watched the Democratic Convention on a little TV in a tiny motel room in Montgomery. My mother and grandmother and I were forced to live in that room for three weeks because our home had been foreclosed. The fact that I could go from a foreclosure and watching this convention on a tiny hotel room, to standing before you and the nation, 20 years later, nominating the next president of the United States, tells you very little about me, but tells us everything that is right about my country.”
Artur Davis on Poverty in 2012
“Of course, we know that opportunity lies outside of reach for some. We don’t need flowery words about inequality to tell us that. And we don’t need a party that has led while poverty and hunger rose to record levels to give us lectures about suffering.”
Artur Davis on Democrats in 2008
“My fellow Democrats, my fellow Americans, I have never seen a moment like this. I have never seen a sense of urgency like this. I'm 40 years old, and I've never seen my country as energized as this. As our next president has said, "From the places in America where people hurt, to the places where people dream, our time is now."
Artur Davis on Democrats 2012
“There are Americans watching right now who voted for the president, but they are searching right now because know that their votes did not build the country they wanted.
To those Democrats and independents whose minds are open to argument, listen closely to the Democratic Party that will gather in Charlotte and ask yourself if you hear your voice in the clamor. Ask yourself if these Democrats still speak for you.
When they say that we have a duty to grow government even when we cannot afford it, does it sound like compassion to you, or does it sound like recklessness?”
Artur Davis on Barack Obama and Democrats 2008
“I am honored to second the nomination of the man whose victory tonight takes us closer to becoming what we know America can be, ladies and gentlemen — a place where who you are now, a place where — where you come from — a place where all of the things that may hold you back pose no permanent barriers, where our destiny is what our God and our dreams determine it to be.”
“… And, ladies and gentlemen, this is the cause for which we stand: An American president named Barack Obama, who will lead and inspire the Free World; an American president named Barack Obama, who will stand for the rule of law.”
Artur Davis on Barack Obama and Democrats 2012
“Maybe we should have known that night in Denver that things that begin with Styrofoam Greek columns and artificial smoke typically don't end well…Maybe the Hollywood stars and the glamour blinded us a little: you thought it was the glare, some of us thought it was a halo."
“…John Kennedy asked what you can do for America. This Democratic Party asks what government can give you. Don’t worry about paying the bills.”
“Bill Clinton took on his base and made welfare something you have to work for. This current crowd gutted the welfare work requirement in the dead of night and won’t tell the truth about it. This is no dark hour. This is the dawn before we remember who we are.”
“….So may it be said of this time in our history — 2008 to 2011, lesson learn. 2012 mistake corrected.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31