Artur Davis, a former Democratic congressman from Alabama, who was a co-chairman in President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign and spoke at the party’s national convention that year, flipped the script Tuesday night.
This year Davis, who left Alabama and moved to Virginia after failing to win the Alabama Democratic Party nomination for governor in 2010, spoke on behalf of presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney and encouraged Democrats and independents to have an open mind about the Republican ticket.
BlackAmericaweb.com takes a quick look at topics discussed in Davis’ 2008 speech before the Democratic National Convention and his speech Tuesday at the Republic National Convention.
Artur Davis on Poverty in 2008
“Ladies and gentlemen, 20 years ago, I watched the Democratic Convention on a little TV in a tiny motel room in Montgomery. My mother and grandmother and I were forced to live in that room for three weeks because our home had been foreclosed. The fact that I could go from a foreclosure and watching this convention on a tiny hotel room, to standing before you and the nation, 20 years later, nominating the next president of the United States, tells you very little about me, but tells us everything that is right about my country.”
Artur Davis on Poverty in 2012
“Of course, we know that opportunity lies outside of reach for some. We don’t need flowery words about inequality to tell us that. And we don’t need a party that has led while poverty and hunger rose to record levels to give us lectures about suffering.”
Artur Davis on Democrats in 2008
“My fellow Democrats, my fellow Americans, I have never seen a moment like this. I have never seen a sense of urgency like this. I'm 40 years old, and I've never seen my country as energized as this. As our next president has said, "From the places in America where people hurt, to the places where people dream, our time is now."
Artur Davis on Democrats 2012
“There are Americans watching right now who voted for the president, but they are searching right now because know that their votes did not build the country they wanted.
To those Democrats and independents whose minds are open to argument, listen closely to the Democratic Party that will gather in Charlotte and ask yourself if you hear your voice in the clamor. Ask yourself if these Democrats still speak for you.
When they say that we have a duty to grow government even when we cannot afford it, does it sound like compassion to you, or does it sound like recklessness?”
Artur Davis on Barack Obama and Democrats 2008
“I am honored to second the nomination of the man whose victory tonight takes us closer to becoming what we know America can be, ladies and gentlemen — a place where who you are now, a place where — where you come from — a place where all of the things that may hold you back pose no permanent barriers, where our destiny is what our God and our dreams determine it to be.”
“… And, ladies and gentlemen, this is the cause for which we stand: An American president named Barack Obama, who will lead and inspire the Free World; an American president named Barack Obama, who will stand for the rule of law.”
Artur Davis on Barack Obama and Democrats 2012
“Maybe we should have known that night in Denver that things that begin with Styrofoam Greek columns and artificial smoke typically don't end well…Maybe the Hollywood stars and the glamour blinded us a little: you thought it was the glare, some of us thought it was a halo."
“…John Kennedy asked what you can do for America. This Democratic Party asks what government can give you. Don’t worry about paying the bills.”
“Bill Clinton took on his base and made welfare something you have to work for. This current crowd gutted the welfare work requirement in the dead of night and won’t tell the truth about it. This is no dark hour. This is the dawn before we remember who we are.”
“….So may it be said of this time in our history — 2008 to 2011, lesson learn. 2012 mistake corrected.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30