Thousands of students at two historically black colleges in New Orleans began leaving the Crescent City Monday as Hurricane Isaac approached from the Gulf, while others either sheltered in place or were bused to sister college campuses miles away.
“We have told every student to activate their hurricane plan,” said Kenneth St. Charles, Xavier’s vice president for institutional advancement. “Many decided to leave while others are sheltering in place.”
All classes and university operations have been cancelled for Tuesday and Wednesday and are set to resume on Thursday,” St. Charles told BlackAmericaweb.com.
Classes and university operations also have been suspended at Dillard University for Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the institution’s website.
Students from that campus were taken to Centenary College of Louisiana in Shreveport, about 300 miles away.
When Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005, Dillard students also were taken to Centenary.
The campuses at both Dillard and Xavier faced serious damage from the flooding that followed Katrina. In recent years, they have focused on rebuilding and restoring both their campuses and their enrollment.
A majority of the Xavier students were able to leave the campus, but a group of students along with President Norman Francis took shelter on one of the higher floors of a campus building.
St. Charles said Monday night that university officials are closely monitoring the weather reports and information from emergency management.
A complete evacuation of the campus had not been ordered because the city had not called for evacuation, he said.
Both New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal spoke during a press conference on storm preparations on Monday afternoon.
Landrieu said there would be no mandatory evacuation of Orleans Parish, but he said strongly encouraged residents living outside of levee protections to leave.
"If your plan for an event like this was to leave, now is the time," Landrieu said.
It was the failure of the levees in 2005 that forced thousands from their homes and businesses after they were ruined by floodwaters. Several people also lost their lives in the floods and the aftermath.
Jindal said he had been on a conference call with President Obama, FEMA Director Craig Fugate and governors from other Gulf Coast states. FEMA is set to start on Tuesday sending extra MREs (meals ready to eat), tarps and other supplies.
"We are going to need help after the storm as well," Jindal added.
"It's much better to have too many resources on hand than to realize too late that we didn't have enough," Jindal said.
Flights in and out of New Orleans were being cancelled Monday, and public officials warned that travel could become difficult.
Early reports showed that a majority of the current New Orleans residents were deciding to shelter in place.
“Most people who come here are cognizant of the fact that storms such as this one will happen,” St. Charles said. “We assist students with their hurricane plans, and for those who have no way home, we will take care of them.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30