A Los Angeles-based porn star says he regrets hiding his test positive test results for syphilis from a producer.
An STD scare recently shut down the porn industry temporarily so that the actors could be tested.
You may not have plans to star in a professional, amateur, for that matter, porn film, but knowing your health status and that of your partner(s) is something that simply cannot be left to chance, health professionals say.
“Mr. Marcus’ apology reminds us all that some things you just can’t apologize your way out of,” relationship and sexual health expert Dr. Rachael Ross posted on her Facebook page when the news broke.
“I hope the industry considers having a centralized group of clinics do their testing,” she wrote in another post. “The verified results could be instantly obtained online. I guarantee that he is not the first nor the last to falsify STD results.”
The actor, known as Mr. Marcus, told Adult Video News (AVN), a trade industry publication, that he learned in July that he had tested positive for syphilis and was given a penicillin shot and told to abstain from sex for 7 to 10 days.
Another test, 11 days after receiving the shot, showed Mr. Marcus still had syphilis in his system, but he went on to shoot a sex scene.
The producer did not check the Talent Testing Service (TTS) database, which would have flagged the actor’s status. Instead, Mr. Marcus showed the producer a copy of the test results on his cell phone, but covered up the part that showed the results for syphilis.
“I showed that my HIV was clear, my gonorrhea and chlamydia were fine,” he told AVN. “You didn’t see the syphilis part of the test because of the way I showed it.”
Mr. Marcus, who admitted he hid results from another director, said he finally came forward after reports surfaced last week of a syphilis outbreak among porn performers, prompting a 10-day halt in filming so more than 1,000 actors could get tested.
Mr. Marcus’ screen partners tested negative for syphilis, but the Associated Press reported there were at least nine other cases of syphilis.
Health professionals encourage all Americans, particularly black Americans, to get tested for sexually transmitted diseases (STD), to know their status and to ask current and potential partners about their health status as well.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s annual report last year, black and Hispanic Americans have a higher rate of sexually transmitted diseases than white Americans.
Black Americans represent just 14 percent of the population but 35 percent of all reported chlamydia cases, 48 percent of all syphilis cases and 69 percent of gonorrhea cases. Among young black men, the rate of syphilis increased 134 percent from 2006 to 2010.
STDs account for 19 million new infections annually, for chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis alone, according to the CDC.
Left untreated, these diseases can lead to blindness, infertility, complications during pregnancy and, in extreme cases, death. Consequences from the diseases can be passed on from mother to infant at birth.
Further, the World Health Organization last month reported it is urging governments and physicians to step up their monitoring of antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea. The CDC has recommended physicians’ use a combination of protocols to treat the disease because there is currently just one antibiotic treatment that is effective against the most drug-resistant strain. Other treatments are recommended for milder forms of the disease so that they, too, will not become resistant to antibiotic treatment.
Because of a high rate of prior exposure to STDS, black Americans have a weaker resistance to HIV/AIDS and are urged to get tested for STDs, including HIV, as part of routine physicals and to take extra precautions in practicing safer sex. The CDC also urges Baby Boomers to get tested for possible exposure to hepatitis C, which can be transmitted a number of ways, including sexually. Boomers are at higher risk for the disease and because there are fewer symptoms initially, the disease may be in an advanced stage when diagnosed.
Click here for answers to your STD questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30