RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The founder of a dog sanctuary at NFL star Michael Vick's former dogfighting compound said Monday that she was shocked to learn that she faces charges of animal cruelty and inadequate care of animals.
Tamira Thayne said in a telephone interview from her Dogs Deserve Better operation in Surry County that she read a newspaper report about the charges, but had neither spoken to authorities nor been served warrants.
"I know nothing about it," Thayne said. "I just got home from my honeymoon in St. Lucia. Apparently I was abusing dogs while I was gone."
Surry County Chief Animal Control Officer Tracy Terry said her office received complaints that led to an investigation, and the results prompted her to file the charges Friday. She declined to say specifically what led to the charges, but said Thayne should not be surprised.
"There's certain things I just can't disclose right now," the officer said.
A hearing is set for Sept. 25 in Surry County General District Court on the inadequate care charge. No hearing date is set on the cruelty count. Both charges are misdemeanors.
Thayne insisted she and her employees have done nothing wrong.
"We take special pains to make sure our dogs are safe and happy," she said. "They have a great life here. Vick tortured dogs to death and never once got charged with animal cruelty. Somebody needs to tell me what the hell is going on here."
Vick, the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, served 18 months in prison after pleading guilty in federal court to participating in an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. The enterprise operated out of his five-bedroom home and 15-acre property in rural Surry County, which he sold to a developer after he was charged. Thayne's organization bought the former Bad Newz Kennels property last year for about $600,000 and turned it into a sanctuary for dogs that have been chained and penned.
Terry said Dogs Deserve Better has been operating without state approval.
"The state veterinarian told her in January they were not going to approve her until she rectified some things," Terry said.
Thayne said she thought she was in good graces with the government.
"They told us to do certain things and we did them, and I haven't heard from them," she said. "To my knowledge, we've done everything they asked us to do."
Thayne said her facility currently is caring for nine dogs, including her personal pet. She said they all live in the house, not out back where Vick and his associates kept dogs penned and chained and put them through brutal test fights. According to court papers in the cases of Vick and his codefendants, Vick bankrolled the operation and joined others in killing some dogs that did not perform well in the tests.
Since his release from prison in 2009, Vick has worked with the Humane Society of the United States to stop organized animal fighting.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31