On May 12, 1968, over 2,500 activists from Mississippi arrived by bus in Washington, D.C. for a gathering of mass protest that was planned to be long-term at the National Mall. An architect named John Wiebenson secured five acres around the Reflecting pool in Washington in order to build a small independent city with its own stores, hospital and city hall. This town of protest at our nation's capitol came to be known as “Resurrection City.” It was part of the Poor People’s Campaign for civil rights.
Resurrection City was built and maintained in a rainstorm. In the first 19 days of the protest, the city was filled with water. The goal of the Resurrection City protestors was to bring awareness of the lack of freedom and jobs for blacks, a civil right yet to be of widespread practice, despite the laws passed in 1964.
The project was carried forth by Rev. Ralph Abernathy, who spearheaded the effort after Dr. King was assassinated. The Rev. Jesse Jackson had been dubbed the city manager of Resurrection City. Building a co-existence with its own civil liberties, the group planned a peaceful rally on June 19th (the same day as the Juneteenth celebration), which resulted in a grand protest of 50,000 people around the National Mall by June 23rd.
It was reported that during the rally, police threw a tear-gas bomb into the crowd of protestors, while the police blamed the disturbance on the protestors. The result was a mass riot and excavation of Resurrection City, its residents and the plywood town they had built in protest. By June 24th, Resurrection City was gone. Those who remained in the area or returned were arrested and the items left were shipped to a Navy yard for claim.
Also On Black America Web:
This Weekâs Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy ðððð
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". ð¥ #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the ð³. ð³
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! ð#wcw ð
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen ð¥â¨â¡ï¸
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day ð@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. â¤ï¸ï¸
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you lookð). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddyð. Amen somebodyðð½. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! ððð love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. ðð
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart â¤ï¸ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton ð
28 of 30
29. You will always be my babyð. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30