LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A big piece of Louisville history is up for sale: the house where boxing great Muhammad Ali spent his boyhood.
Owner Steve Stephenson said Monday he's asking $50,000 for the small white house with a sagging front porch overhang. The house is situated along a tree-lined western Louisville neighborhood made up of mostly neat, modest homes.
A sign in front of the house says it is for sale by owner. Stephenson declined to provide further details.
The house is assessed at $23,260, according to the Jefferson County Property Value Administrator's website.
In front of the one-story home is a state historical marker recognizing the residence as Ali's boyhood home, when he was known as Cassius Clay. The marker says Ali lived in the mostly black neighborhood with his parents and brother and attended local public schools.
It was at the home where the future boxing champion's "values were instilled," the marker says.
Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said the city has an interest in preserving the home of a world-famous native son.
"Anything we can do to preserve and expand his legacy, we want to do that," Fischer said Monday before an appearance elsewhere in the city. "His home serves as an inspiration for people to look at that and say, "If this young guy, why not me?"
The three-time world heavyweight champion remains one of the most recognizable figures on the planet, even though his public appearances have become sporadic as he fights Parkinson's disease.
Ali's influence extended far beyond the boxing ring. He retired from the ring in 1981 and devoted himself to social causes. He traveled the world on humanitarian missions and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in 2005.
Through it all, Ali kept his ties to his hometown. The Muhammad Ali Center, a museum and education center in downtown Louisville, is one of the city's prime tourist attractions. Ali came home for a 70th birthday bash early this year.
A few houses down from the home, neighbor James Calloway reminisced how his mother saw the boxing great's generosity early on, when a young Ali carried her laundry basket to a neighborhood Laundromat.
"He was real neighborly," the 63-year-old Calloway said.
It was at his childhood home where Ali began dreaming of boxing greatness.
Ali took up boxing at age 12, when his bike was stolen and he wanted to find and whip the culprit. The boy was introduced to Joe Martin, a police officer who coached boxing at a local gym. Ali flourished in the ring, becoming a top amateur and Olympic gold medalist.
Calloway recalled how Ali would run with boots or leg weights to build up his strength and endurance. And how Ali, after making it big in the ring, would come back to the neighborhood in his big tour bus.
Another neighbor who didn't want to be identified said vehicles occasionally stop in front of the old Clay family home to read the historical marker. The home is several blocks from a main downtown thoroughfare.
Now, the home is showing outward signs of disrepair.
"I think it's a disgrace," said Calloway, who thinks it should be turned into a museum.
Fischer said it's nothing that can't be repaired.
"We all show our age … from time to time, but we'd be able to fix that up, no problem," he said.
Associated Press Writer Janet Cappiello contributed to this report.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31