Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney cracked a birther joke Friday and President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign wasn’t laughing.
Campaigning in Michigan, Romney waxed poetic about being in the home state where he and wife Ann were born and met.
“Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital. I was born at Harper Hospital,” Romney told a crowd in Commerce, Mich. “No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place we were born and raised.”
The remark, which brought cheers from the crowd, drew condemnation from Obama’s campaign.
“It’s one thing to give the stage in Tampa to Donald Trump, Sheriff Arpaio and Kris Kobach,” Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said. “But Governor Romney’s decision to directly enlist himself in the birther movement should give pause to any rational voter across America.”
Romney’s joke appeared to be an effort to appeal to a segment of voters who are convinced that Obama was not born in the United States and isn’t a U.S. citizen, despite his late white mother being from Kansas. His late father was from Kenya. Obama was born in Hawaii.
Kevin Madden, a Romney campaign spokesman, said there was nothing sinister about Romney’s remarks.
“The governor has always said, and has repeatedly said, he believes the president was born in the United States,” Madden told the Associated Press. “He was only referencing that Michigan, where he is campaigning today, is the state where he was born and raised.”
After years of questions raised by birthers, Obama released his long form birth certificate last year. But even that hasn’t been enough to quash the birther talk. Despite being the butt of Obama’s jokes at last year’s White House Correspondents dinner for his birther stance, real estate mogul and reality TV show host Donald Trump continues to question Obama’s roots.
Romney’s dig could have been payback for Obama making a joke recently about the time Romney strapped the family dog to the roof of the car on a family vacation.
Some of the folks in the Commerce crowd loved Romney’s joke.
“(Romney) was born and raised in Michigan and as far as Obama goes, his grandma was there at his birth and his grandma has never been outside Kenya,” a woman named Terese Cayline told BuzzFeed.com . “So I find it ironic that he won’t show the real birth certificate.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25