Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney cracked a birther joke Friday and President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign wasn’t laughing.
Campaigning in Michigan, Romney waxed poetic about being in the home state where he and wife Ann were born and met.
“Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital. I was born at Harper Hospital,” Romney told a crowd in Commerce, Mich. “No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place we were born and raised.”
The remark, which brought cheers from the crowd, drew condemnation from Obama’s campaign.
“It’s one thing to give the stage in Tampa to Donald Trump, Sheriff Arpaio and Kris Kobach,” Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said. “But Governor Romney’s decision to directly enlist himself in the birther movement should give pause to any rational voter across America.”
Romney’s joke appeared to be an effort to appeal to a segment of voters who are convinced that Obama was not born in the United States and isn’t a U.S. citizen, despite his late white mother being from Kansas. His late father was from Kenya. Obama was born in Hawaii.
Kevin Madden, a Romney campaign spokesman, said there was nothing sinister about Romney’s remarks.
“The governor has always said, and has repeatedly said, he believes the president was born in the United States,” Madden told the Associated Press. “He was only referencing that Michigan, where he is campaigning today, is the state where he was born and raised.”
After years of questions raised by birthers, Obama released his long form birth certificate last year. But even that hasn’t been enough to quash the birther talk. Despite being the butt of Obama’s jokes at last year’s White House Correspondents dinner for his birther stance, real estate mogul and reality TV show host Donald Trump continues to question Obama’s roots.
Romney’s dig could have been payback for Obama making a joke recently about the time Romney strapped the family dog to the roof of the car on a family vacation.
Some of the folks in the Commerce crowd loved Romney’s joke.
“(Romney) was born and raised in Michigan and as far as Obama goes, his grandma was there at his birth and his grandma has never been outside Kenya,” a woman named Terese Cayline told BuzzFeed.com . “So I find it ironic that he won’t show the real birth certificate.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25