I am not happy right about now. Two recent things in the news have been bothering me.
One involves presidential debates and African-Americans being shut out; the other involves law enforcement and a particular African-American woman named Lauryn Hill being shut in.
First, there’s the controversy surrounding the upcoming presidential debates and the fact that no journalists of color were selected by the Commission of Presidential Debates.
Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for two obvious points: 1) the President happens to be black and, 2) there is a sista named Gwen Ifill who is one of the best in the business who has won high praise for her moderation of not one, but two vice presidential debates within the past decade.
Ifill was not happy with the decision either and she has every right to be upset given her experience, and the fact that Jim Lehrer was chosen in spite of the fact that he’d previously said he didn’t want to do it.
But you know what else? It’s just as sad that a beautiful and talented lady named Lauryn Hill is about to get shut in prison for up to three years.
Last week, many of us saw the mug shot of a stoic Hill who is facing prison time for three counts of misdemeanor failure to pay taxes.
Now, when it comes to tax evasion and celebrities, some have complained of selective enforcement in cases where they feel the government is trying to make an example of certain folks.
And I’m not saying I know this to be the case with Lauryn Hill, but compared to numerous other celebrity tax evasion cases that didn’t involve jail, Hill’s debt is relatively small and given she pleaded guilty to not paying federal taxes on $1.5 million over a three year period.
Still, Hill should have paid and, according to her lawyer, will pay. But I just don’t believe that sending a mother of six children to jail is an appropriate remedy for her crime, which is actually a misdemeanor.
So I’m really hoping they’ll just make her pay and keep her free.
It’s kind of ironic when you think about it. All of these years, we’ve been hoping that the talented, beautiful and soulful songstress who captured our ears, hearts and minds long ago would come back to us.
Now we’re just praying she doesn’t get sent away.
Let’s hear from you. Text us at 64-64-64 and let us know if you feel Lauryn should go to prison or not for her actions.
I’ll leave you with this from Lauryn Hill who reminds us all that hard times won’t last for long.
Everything is everything
What is meant to be, will be
After winter, must come spring
Change, it comes eventually
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31