Last week, AT&T launched an "It Can Wait" Campaign. Now this is not about whether or not you use their service, but are you willing to end the practice of texting while driving. This call to stop texting and driving is not a new one. Oprah launched a major initiative in 2010 challenging the nation starting with her own staff to end the use of mobile devices while driving. But Tom, it didn't seem to stick.
The increased number of drivers on US roads (over 196 million) coupled with the over 327 million mobile devices in the hands of US citizens has created a perfect storm, the results of which have been 100,000 texting related crashes a year. In the time it takes you to type LMAO or BRT your 23 times more likely to be in an accident. If that was not bad enough 75% of teens say texting and driving is common with them and their friends.
What I don't get is that we know its a problem. The AAA Foundation did a poll that showed 87% of responders believe that texting and driving is a VERY SERIOUS safety threat which is only 3% less than the 90% that said the same thing about drunk driving. If this real why is there not a movement? Sybil to you know what almost single handily changed how America looked at drunk driving? MADD. Mothers Against Drunk Driving was a movement that said not on our watch.
While many of us have problems demonizing texters the way we do drunk drivers, the results can be the same and the impairment caused by texting is actually worse. Let me break it down like this Car and Driver did a study that showed Unimpaired:
.54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet.
Sending a text: add 70 feet
Don't believe me. Ask those who have been disfigured, paralyzed, or the families of those who have lost loved ones to someone texting and driving. Will Smith's "Seven Pounds" illustrated the chilling reality of a man living with the pain of killing his loved ones.
Canada has banned cell phone use; in the UK you cant even use mobile devices at stop lights and in the US almost all states have or are working on policy. But legislation is just that and we have to change attitudes and behavior. It is NOT OK to text and drive….It IS A BIG DEAL…..IT CAN WAIT. Accidents – Injuries – Paralysis and DEATH. They can all wait. So Spouses/partners challenge your boo, Parents, your babies and young People, your peers to join the movement at http://www.itcanwait.org. Get 20 twitter, facebook followers or family members to take the pledge with you.
All we have to do is hang up or switch off. It really is that simple. Once we do that, not another son or daughter will have to die because someone was on the phone and behind the wheel—and just not paying attention. – Oprah
Stop texting and Driving Family – THEIR TOUCH MEANS MORE THAN THAT TEXT
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25