Last week, AT&T launched an "It Can Wait" Campaign. Now this is not about whether or not you use their service, but are you willing to end the practice of texting while driving. This call to stop texting and driving is not a new one. Oprah launched a major initiative in 2010 challenging the nation starting with her own staff to end the use of mobile devices while driving. But Tom, it didn't seem to stick.
The increased number of drivers on US roads (over 196 million) coupled with the over 327 million mobile devices in the hands of US citizens has created a perfect storm, the results of which have been 100,000 texting related crashes a year. In the time it takes you to type LMAO or BRT your 23 times more likely to be in an accident. If that was not bad enough 75% of teens say texting and driving is common with them and their friends.
What I don't get is that we know its a problem. The AAA Foundation did a poll that showed 87% of responders believe that texting and driving is a VERY SERIOUS safety threat which is only 3% less than the 90% that said the same thing about drunk driving. If this real why is there not a movement? Sybil to you know what almost single handily changed how America looked at drunk driving? MADD. Mothers Against Drunk Driving was a movement that said not on our watch.
While many of us have problems demonizing texters the way we do drunk drivers, the results can be the same and the impairment caused by texting is actually worse. Let me break it down like this Car and Driver did a study that showed Unimpaired:
.54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet.
Sending a text: add 70 feet
Don't believe me. Ask those who have been disfigured, paralyzed, or the families of those who have lost loved ones to someone texting and driving. Will Smith's "Seven Pounds" illustrated the chilling reality of a man living with the pain of killing his loved ones.
Canada has banned cell phone use; in the UK you cant even use mobile devices at stop lights and in the US almost all states have or are working on policy. But legislation is just that and we have to change attitudes and behavior. It is NOT OK to text and drive….It IS A BIG DEAL…..IT CAN WAIT. Accidents – Injuries – Paralysis and DEATH. They can all wait. So Spouses/partners challenge your boo, Parents, your babies and young People, your peers to join the movement at http://www.itcanwait.org. Get 20 twitter, facebook followers or family members to take the pledge with you.
All we have to do is hang up or switch off. It really is that simple. Once we do that, not another son or daughter will have to die because someone was on the phone and behind the wheel—and just not paying attention. – Oprah
Stop texting and Driving Family – THEIR TOUCH MEANS MORE THAN THAT TEXT
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30