New research finds that yo-yo dieting can actually lead to lasting and successful weight loss.
A new study performed by Anne McTiernan and her team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that yo-yo dieting does not affect a person’s ability to lose weight.
"You hear people say, 'Diets don't work for me,' but they do work if you use a structure and stick with it," McTiernan said. "The message is: Don't give up."
McTiernan and her team studied over 400 overweight, inactive women between the ages of 50 and 75. The women were involved in one of four programs: a reduced-calorie diet, a reduced-calorie diet with an exercise program, a solitary exercise program, or no type of weight-loss program at all. The exercise plan included a minimum of 3 hours of aerobic exercise such as brisk walking per week.
The study found that the women who participated in the reduced-calorie program lost approximately 9 percent of their staring weight with an average of 16 pounds. Those who participated in the combined program of diet and exercise lost nearly 22 pounds.
Approximately 42 percent of the women had a history of over three attempts in losing and gaining ten pounds on previous dieting programs.
Study results found that diet cyclers and non-cyclers lose about the same amount of weight.
Some studies have indicated that yo-yo dieting can have adverse health and psychologies effects while other studies show that it does not.
Gary Foster, the director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University believes that this study gives positive news to people who have long struggled with weight loss.
"Weight control is tough work but even a small weight loss brings big improvements in the medical and psychosocial consequences of obesity," Foster said.
Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity agrees that this news adds hope to those who found weight loss disheartening.
Elaine Jacobson of Rochester, N.Y., 56, said that that she had to make some permanent lifestyle changes such as portion control and frequently eating out to aid her weight loss. She’s down to 129 pounds from 285 pounds.
Elizabeth Cullen of Wallingford, Connecticut lost 120 pounds while on Weight Watchers but gained some of it back after she had knee surgery.
"The results of the study reinforce how I see my weight issues. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle," Cullen said. "Being consistent and working toward a healthy lifestyle is what is important and that is a goal that is certainly never too late to try again."
Kevin Fowler has lost 49 pounds and finds the study’s results comforting. He admits that his weight fluctuates up down and about seven pounds, but he remains persistent.
"It's a lot of work to get it off, so you want to try to keep it off," Fowler said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25