New research finds that yo-yo dieting can actually lead to lasting and successful weight loss.
A new study performed by Anne McTiernan and her team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that yo-yo dieting does not affect a person’s ability to lose weight.
"You hear people say, 'Diets don't work for me,' but they do work if you use a structure and stick with it," McTiernan said. "The message is: Don't give up."
McTiernan and her team studied over 400 overweight, inactive women between the ages of 50 and 75. The women were involved in one of four programs: a reduced-calorie diet, a reduced-calorie diet with an exercise program, a solitary exercise program, or no type of weight-loss program at all. The exercise plan included a minimum of 3 hours of aerobic exercise such as brisk walking per week.
The study found that the women who participated in the reduced-calorie program lost approximately 9 percent of their staring weight with an average of 16 pounds. Those who participated in the combined program of diet and exercise lost nearly 22 pounds.
Approximately 42 percent of the women had a history of over three attempts in losing and gaining ten pounds on previous dieting programs.
Study results found that diet cyclers and non-cyclers lose about the same amount of weight.
Some studies have indicated that yo-yo dieting can have adverse health and psychologies effects while other studies show that it does not.
Gary Foster, the director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University believes that this study gives positive news to people who have long struggled with weight loss.
"Weight control is tough work but even a small weight loss brings big improvements in the medical and psychosocial consequences of obesity," Foster said.
Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity agrees that this news adds hope to those who found weight loss disheartening.
Elaine Jacobson of Rochester, N.Y., 56, said that that she had to make some permanent lifestyle changes such as portion control and frequently eating out to aid her weight loss. She’s down to 129 pounds from 285 pounds.
Elizabeth Cullen of Wallingford, Connecticut lost 120 pounds while on Weight Watchers but gained some of it back after she had knee surgery.
"The results of the study reinforce how I see my weight issues. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle," Cullen said. "Being consistent and working toward a healthy lifestyle is what is important and that is a goal that is certainly never too late to try again."
Kevin Fowler has lost 49 pounds and finds the study’s results comforting. He admits that his weight fluctuates up down and about seven pounds, but he remains persistent.
"It's a lot of work to get it off, so you want to try to keep it off," Fowler said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31