New research finds that yo-yo dieting can actually lead to lasting and successful weight loss.
A new study performed by Anne McTiernan and her team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that yo-yo dieting does not affect a person’s ability to lose weight.
"You hear people say, 'Diets don't work for me,' but they do work if you use a structure and stick with it," McTiernan said. "The message is: Don't give up."
McTiernan and her team studied over 400 overweight, inactive women between the ages of 50 and 75. The women were involved in one of four programs: a reduced-calorie diet, a reduced-calorie diet with an exercise program, a solitary exercise program, or no type of weight-loss program at all. The exercise plan included a minimum of 3 hours of aerobic exercise such as brisk walking per week.
The study found that the women who participated in the reduced-calorie program lost approximately 9 percent of their staring weight with an average of 16 pounds. Those who participated in the combined program of diet and exercise lost nearly 22 pounds.
Approximately 42 percent of the women had a history of over three attempts in losing and gaining ten pounds on previous dieting programs.
Study results found that diet cyclers and non-cyclers lose about the same amount of weight.
Some studies have indicated that yo-yo dieting can have adverse health and psychologies effects while other studies show that it does not.
Gary Foster, the director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University believes that this study gives positive news to people who have long struggled with weight loss.
"Weight control is tough work but even a small weight loss brings big improvements in the medical and psychosocial consequences of obesity," Foster said.
Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity agrees that this news adds hope to those who found weight loss disheartening.
Elaine Jacobson of Rochester, N.Y., 56, said that that she had to make some permanent lifestyle changes such as portion control and frequently eating out to aid her weight loss. She’s down to 129 pounds from 285 pounds.
Elizabeth Cullen of Wallingford, Connecticut lost 120 pounds while on Weight Watchers but gained some of it back after she had knee surgery.
"The results of the study reinforce how I see my weight issues. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle," Cullen said. "Being consistent and working toward a healthy lifestyle is what is important and that is a goal that is certainly never too late to try again."
Kevin Fowler has lost 49 pounds and finds the study’s results comforting. He admits that his weight fluctuates up down and about seven pounds, but he remains persistent.
"It's a lot of work to get it off, so you want to try to keep it off," Fowler said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30