Mitt Romney proved this week that he really isn’t like most Americans.
“I did go back and look at my taxes and over the past 10 years,” Romney said on a tarmac after landing for a fundraiser in Greer, S.C. on Thursday. “I never paid less than 13 percent. I think the most recent year is 13.6 or something like that. So I paid taxes every single year.”
Romney was responding to a pledge he made last month during an interview with ABC News, saying he would be “happy to go back and look” at his tax rate over the last decade, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) accused Romney of paying no taxes at all during that period.
Reid admittedly was passing along information he had heard and never really did his homework to see if Romney really hadn’t paid taxes and that probably wasn’t Reid’s real point.
What he wanted to do was pressure Romney into revealing more than the two years of tax returns. The presumptive Republican nominee has said he would only reveal his 2010 and 2011 returns.
Romney released his 2010 tax return in January, which revealed he paid 13.9 percent in federal taxes on $21.7 million in income. This does not include personal property or sales taxes.
Because most of Romney’s income comes from investments, which is taxed at a lower rate (15 percent) than regular income, he pays a much lower tax rate than most Americans.
Therein lies the problem.
Romney has done nothing illegal and, like most Americans, he – or rather his accountants – looks for every opportunity to pay as little in taxes as possible. He simply has more opportunities than most to beat the tax man. And that’s his version of normal.
If that $21 million had come from regular wages, Romney would be at the top tax rate of 35 percent.
Instead, not only is the 15 percent really, really low on a substantial amount of money, but it’s lower than what most Americans pay. The Congressional Budget Office reports that the average American paid a tax rate of 17.9 percent in 2009 and you can bet it’s on a much lower income than Romney’s.
So does the average really need to know how much Romney earned every year for the last 10 years?
If his effective rate hovers between 13 and 15 percent, doesn’t that establish that Romney isn’t like most Americans? And does it really matter? Is his income important in determining whether he would be a good president?
He certainly wouldn’t be the first rich, or at least affluent, man in the White House. What does matter is whether he would pursue policies that would benefit the great majority of Americans.
While he claims to have his own tax plan, it largely mirrors that of congressional Republicans who have decided to cut taxes and spending, regardless of whom it hurts – even some of their own presumed constituencies – rather than raise personal income taxes for the wealthy or find some other non-income taxes to balance the budget.
His running mate, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), has proposed a budget that would cut Medicare spending and foster a market-based health care system, and would make stringent cuts in federal agencies across the board that would, over the next decade, affect air traffic safety, road and bridge repairs and pollution reduction, which affects asthma rates – a particular area of concern for black Americans. Those cuts, if approved, would shift the way we live from enduring minor inconveniences to facing real threats to the way we maintain our health and safety long after a Romney-Ryan team left office, even if they were to win two terms.
That largely would fall on the backs of middle- and lower-income people.
What Romney pays in taxes may give voters some insight into how much or how little he gets problems with the economy and Americans’ earning power – before and after taxes – but it’s just an opening to encourage voters to dig deeper into his agenda for the country.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31